52°51' N 17°44' E , 143.3 miles WNW of Warszawa. This small town with a 2005 population of 14,558 in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship (previously Bydgoszcz Voivodeship) and the capital of Żnin powiat is situated in the historic land of Pałuki and the Gniezno Lake Area on the river Gąsawka. [July 200]
US Commission No. POCE000612
Alternate name: Znejn. The town is located in Bydgoskie, Paluki at 52º 51'17º 43', 43 km from Bydgoszcz. Cemetery: Mickiewicza St. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1449. 1928 Jewish population was 23. Jewish cemetery was established in 18th or 19th century. The isolated suburban hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. The size of the cemetery before World War II was and is now 0.23 ha. There are no visible gravestones or known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for agriculture. Nearby properties are agricultural and residential. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance. Security, weather erosion and incompatible existing development are considered slight threats.
Magdalena Grabowska, Bydgoszcz ul. Sanatoryjna 40, tel. 277335 completed survey on Oct. 30 1992 after a visit to the site on the same day. She used the card of the cemetery 1988 WKZ Bydgoszcz as documentation.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 13:42|