You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland ZAWICHOST: Świętokrzyskie
ZAWICHOST: Świętokrzyskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Zawichost, Zavichost, Zavichvost. 50°48' N, 21°51' E. 1900 Jewish population: 1,680. Gmina Zawichost is an urban-rural administrative district in Sandomierz powiat, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in south-central Poland with its seat in the town of Zawichost, 16 km (10 mi) NE of Sandomierz and 88 km (55 mi) E of the regional capital Kielce. The gmina 2006 total population was 4,724 (town: 1,853). Beside the town of Zawichost, Gmina Zawichost contains the villages and settlements of Chrapanów, Czyżów Plebański, Czyżów Szlachecki, Dąbie, Dziurów, Józefków, Kolecin, Linów, Linów-Kolonia, Pawłów, Piotrowice, Podszyn, Wygoda and Wyspa. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000235

Zawichost is located in Tarnobrzeg at 50º49 21º51, 29km from Sandomierz. The cemetery is located at ul. Zantek at town outskirts, 100m S of Zawichost-Ozarow road. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy Zawichost, ul. Zeromskiego 17, tel. 640-51; 640-04.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, (Mgr. Dominik Komada), Tarnobrzeg, ul. Pilsudskiego 40, tel. 22-81-61 and Dyrektor Wydzialu Spraw Spotecznych, Urzedu Wojewodzkiego, (Edward Kuracinski), Tarnobrzeg, ul. Kosciuszki 32, tel. 22-19-99.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1787, when Prosperow colony was established for the exclusive settlement of Jews, who were not let into Zawichost. Later, Prosperow was included within Zawichost. The Orthodox Jewish cemetery was established toward the end of 18th century. The isolated suburban hillside has a plaque in Polish and Hebrew that mentions the Jews and the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The area of the cemetery, both prior to WWII and presently, is .5 ha. The cemetery contains one gravestone with Hebrew inscriptions fixed into a monument for Holocaust victims. There are no known mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely, organized Jewish group tours and private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not within the last ten years. Jewish groups abroad cleared vegetation and fixed the wall and gate in 1988. A caretaker, paid for by an undetermined Jewish congregation, now regularly maintains the cemetery. Vandalism, vegetation and incompatible development pose only slight threats.

Marek Florek, 37-420 Rudnik n/Ganem, ul. Chopina 12/2, tel. 26 completed survey in 12/91. Documentation: Karta ewidencji cmentare; Studium histoynio-urbanistynze, W-wa 1954 (mary.). He visited site on 11/12/81.

Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 12:13
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution