Alternate names: Żarnów [Pol], Zharnov, ז'ארנוב [Yid], Zharnuv, Жарнув [Rus], Zharnow, Zarnov. 51°15' N, 20°11' E, 24 miles SE of Piotrków Trybunalski, 36 miles NW of Kielce, 43 miles WSW of Radom. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XIV, pp. 739-740: "Żarnów".1900 Jewish population: 1,171. Gmina Żarnów is a rural administrative district in Opoczno powiat, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland with its seat in the village of Żarnów, 18 km (11 mi) SW of Opoczno and 77 km (48 mi) SE of the regional capital Łódź. The gmina 2006 total population was 6,260. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000673
Zarnow is located in Piotrkow at 51º1520º11,40 km from Piotrkow; 34 km from Prezedborz; 18 km from Opoczno. The cemetery is located W of village of Tresta Wesota. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 1200. The town belonged to the church; and Jewish settlement was prohibited until 1860. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery. The isolated wooded flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is about 1 hectares. 1 to 20 sandstone flat shaped stones, none in original location, have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns property used for recreation (park, playground, and sports field). Properties adjacent are forest. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access.
Jan Pawel Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21m.1, 02-567 Warszawa; tel.49- 54-62 completed survey on 9 Nov 1991. The site was not visited. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 11:47|