ZANIEMYSL: Wielkopolskie Print

File:Herb Zaniemyśl.png Alternate names: Zaniemyśl [Pol], Santomischel [Ger], Santomischl. 52°10' N, 17°10' E, 19 miles SSE of Poznań (Posen), 7 miles SW of Środa Wielkopolska (Schroda). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XIV, p. 392: "Zaniemyśl". 1900 Jewish population: 135. Gmina Zaniemyśl is a rural administrative district in Środa Wielkopolska powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland with its seat in the village of Zaniemyśl, 12 km (7 mi) sSW of Środa Wielkopolska and 33 km (21 mi) SE of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population was 6,191. Gmina Zaniemyśl contains the villages and settlements of Bożydar, Brzostek, Czarnotki, Dębice, Dobroczyn Drugi, Dobroczyn Pierwszy, Doliwiec Leśny, Jaszkowo, Jeziorskie Huby, Jeziory Małe, Jeziory Wielkie, Józefowo, Kępa Mała, Kępa Wielka, Konstantynowo, Kowalka, Łękno, Luboniec, Lubonieczek, Ludwikowo, Mądre, Majdany, Pigłowice, Płaczki, Polesie, Polwica, Polwica-Huby, Potachy, Śnieciska, Winna, Wyszakowo, Wyszakowskie Huby, Zaniemyśl, Zofiówka and Zwola. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000447

Alternate German name: Santomisschel or Santomysl. The town is located in Poznan province at 52º10'17º12', 25 km from Poznan. Cemetery: ul. Powslawow(?) Wlkg. Cemetery: Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Gminy, ul. Sredzka 9, tel. 109.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 61-716 Poznan, ul. Kosciuszki 93, tel. 696464.
  • Interested: len Jan Perczak, kier. Muzeum Regionalnego w Zaniemyslu.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1834; 1910 Jewish population was 31 (2.2%). The permission to establish a Jewish cemetery was granted in 1787. The unlandmarked cemetery was about 1 km from synagogue. The wooded small rise, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public forest, access is open to all. There are no gravestones in the cemetery. The stones may have been used to build houses on Szemska St., called "Bethlehem". The municipality owns property used a forest. Properties adjacent are also forest. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance. Vandalism: result of "digged up graves."

Pniewski Slaciomir, Poznan, ul Pizybysiwzkiego 41/4 completed survey in Aug. 1991 after a visit in 1989. Documentation: 1940 German map and Heppner, A., and Herzberg, J., Aus Vergangenheit und Gegen. Die Juden und die judischen gemeinden in den Posener Landen, 1905-79 , with photos. An interview was conducted with Perczak (see above).

Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 11:34