You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland ZALEWO: Warmińsko-Mazurskie
ZALEWO: Warmińsko-Mazurskie PDF Print E-mail

53°50' N 19°36' E, 123.8 miles NNW of Warszawa. Gmina Zalewo is an urban-rural administrative district in Iława powiat, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship in northern Poland with its seat in the town of Zalewo, 28 km (17 mi) N of Iława and 59 km (37 mi) W of the regional capital Olsztyn.  The gmina 2006 total population was 6,986 (town: 2,152). Apart from the town of Zalewo, Gmina Zalewo contains the villages and settlements of Bądki, Bajdy, Barty, Bednarzówka, Boreczno, Brzeziniak, Bukowiec, Dajny, Dobrzyki, Duba, Gajdy, Girgajny, Gubławki, Huta Wielka, Janiki Małe, Janiki Wielkie, Jaśkowo, Jerzwałd, Jezierce, Karpowo, Kiemiany, Kupin, Likszany, Matyty, Mazanki, Międzychód, Mozgowo, Murawki, Nowe Chmielówko, Piekło, Polajny, Półwieś, Pomielin, Pozorty, Rąbity, Rucewo, Rudnia, Sadławki, Skitławki, Śliwa, Surbajny, Tarpno, Urowo, Wielowieś, Wieprz, Witoszewo and Zatyki. [July 2009]

US Commission No. AS 206

Alternate German name: Saalfeld. Cemetery: Sienkiewicza Street. Cemetery: The town is located in the Voivodship of Olsztyn, 19 36', 53 51', 82 km from Olsztyn. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta i Gminy, ul. Kilizslciego, 11-320 Zalewo.
  • Regional: Urzad Wojevodzki u Olsatynie, Wydrial Gospodalie Tevenowej, ul. Pilsudskiego 7/9, 10-959 Olsztyn, tel. 232 276 and Panstwowa Slurba Ochrony, Zabytkow, Oddrial w. Olsztynie, ul. Podwale 1, 10-076 Olsztyn, tel. 27-21-36.
  • Interested: mgr. inz Elibieta Szygula-Zielinska, 10-435 Olsztyn, ul. Switezianki 6/3, tel. 33-29-22. Urzad Wojewodzki, Wych. Gosp. Tosenoweg tel. 232-276; mgr. Wiktor Knercer, Panstwowa Slurba Ochrony, Zabytkow, Oddr. w. Olsztynie

The earliest known Jewish community was 1816. 1937 Jewish population was 11. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 1st half of the 19th century with last known Orthodox or Progressive/ Reform Jewish burial in the late 1930's. Landmark: the register of monuments of the Voivodship of Olsztyn. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or fence. The approximate size of the cemetery before World War II and now is 0.10 ha. 20-100 gravestones are in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken. Tombstones date from 1860-20th century. The sandstone and other materials flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. There are no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns property used only as a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. Local/municipal authorities clear of vegetation, with occasional clearing by authorities. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access, and a slight threat. There is also a slight threat of incompatible existing development nearby and a moderate threat of vandalism.

Wiktor Knercer, 10-685 Olsztyn, ul. Barcza 33m16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey. Documentation: Frederichs Deutsches Staedtebuch, Stuttgart 1939 and Statistisches Handbuch fuer die Provinz Ostpreussen 1937. Other documentation exists was inaccessible. He visited the site in August 1991.

Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 11:03
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution