Alternate names: Zagórów [Pol], Zagrova, זאגורוב [Yid], Zaguruv, Загурув [Rus]. 52°10' N, 17°54' E, 30 miles NNW of Kalisz, 16 miles WSW of Konin, 8 miles S of Słupca. 1900 Jewish population: 658. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). Gmina Zagórów is an urban-rural administrative district in Słupca County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland with its seat is the town of Zagórów, 16 km (10 mi) S of Słupca and 72 km (45 mi) E of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population is 9,073 (population of Zagórów at 2,932). [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000714
The town is located in Konin Voivodship at 52º10' 17º54', 15 km from Stuca and 30 km from Konin. Cemetery is located at Imielno (Kosciolkow). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
1939 Jewish population was 600 out of 4700 inhabitants. The Nelkens, landowners, silk merchants, and a pharmacist lived there. The unlandmarked cemetery was established in early 19th century. The last Orthodox or Progressive/ Reform burial was in 1939 on the rural crown of a hill. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a broken fence. Only this remains of the three extant gravestones found in 1965/70. The approximate size of the cemetery before World War II was 0.5 ha., now 0.3 ha. 1-20 stones are in original locations. 100-500 stones were incorporated in the road from Imielno to Zagorow. Only three graves remain. The 20th century flat shaped granite stones have Hebrew and Polish inscriptions. The municipality owns property used for a park. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery is smaller than in 1939 due to a forest being planted after destruction during World War II. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last 10 years. Since then, local/municipal authorities fenced and cleaned the remaining stones in 1965/70. No one cares for the cemetery. Up to 1945, there was a guardhouse and a pre-burial house on the site. Moderate security threat and slight threats of weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism.
- Local: Mayor Zdzislaw Rybicki, Zagorow, ul. Koscielna 4.
- Regional: Irena Sobierajska, PSOZ, Konin.
- Interested: Mr. Bogdan Grzonkowski (history teacher) Zagorow, ul. Koninska 66, Szkola Podstawowa (elementary school) Zagorow, Plac Szkolny 1, tel. #75.
Lucja Pawlicka-Nowak, 62-510 Konin, ul. 11 Listopada 51/76, tel. #434356 completed survey on September 10, 1992. Documentation: interviews and documentation of WKZ (conservator of monuments of the voivodship.) He visited site on August 27 and Sept. 10 1992 and interviewed Ms. Jadwiga Mikolajczyk (b. 1920) living near the cemetery: Zagoro (Kirchol) ul. Gajowa 4 on Aug. 27, 1992.