You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WYSOKA: Wielkopolskie
WYSOKA: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

53°12' N 17°06' E, 175.8 miles WNW of Warszawa. Gmina Wysoka is an urban-rural administrative district in Piła powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland with its seat in the town of Wysoka, 25 km (16 mi) E of Piła and 86 km (53 mi) N of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population was 6,890 (2,750 in the town). Beside the town of Wysoka, Gmina Wysoka contains the villages and settlements of Bądecz, Czajcze, Gmurowo, Jeziorki Kosztowskie, Kijaszkowo, Kostrzynek, Młotkowo, Mościska, Nowa Rudna, Rudna, Sędziniec, Stare, Tłukomy, Wysoczka, Wysoka Mała and Wysoka Wielka. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000417

The town is located in Pila region, 52º11 17º05, 20 km from Pila. Cemetery was located on a hill outside of town where a primary school is now located. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta i Gminy z Wysoka. Mgr. Roman Chwaliszewski, Wojewodski Koserwator Zabytkow 64-920 Pila ul. Tczewska 1, tel. 223-88.
  • Regional: Poristwowo Slurba Odnony Zabytkow, Odoniar w Pila, Mgr. Barbara Luczynskie; address as above.      Mgr. Marek Fijalkowski, Museum Okregowe, 64-920 Pila ul. Chopino 1 tel. 271-37.

There was Jewish settlement since 1816 and Jewish community since the mid-19th century. 1870 Jewish population was 128. The unlandmarked Progressive/Reform Jews cemetery was established in mid-19th century. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before World War II was 0.25 ha and was liquidated after 1920. No stones or known mass graves exist. The municipality owns property used for recreation. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery is smaller than in 1939 due to the building of the primary school. The cemetery was vandalized prior to World War II.

Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szerecin ul Soltysie 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey Aug. 30, 1991. Documentation: sources worked out by Mr. Fijarkowski.

Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 01:12
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution