|WRONKI : Wielkopolskie|
Alternate names: Wronki [Pol], Wronke [Ger]. 52°43' N, 16°24' E, 32 miles NW of Poznań (Posen). Jewish population: 569 (in 1890). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XIV, pp. 52-53: "Wronki". Wronke [Ger]. The town in the Szamotuły powiat in Greater Poland Voivodeship in western-central Poland since 1999, previously in Piła Voivodeship (1975-1998) close to the Warta River to the NW of Poznań with a population of approximately 11,000. In 1920 of a 1,000 year-old synagogue was discovered. This evidences a thriving Jewish commercial settlement in Poland a generation before the arrival of Christianity. Some of the earliest Polish coins are many bearing Hebrew inscriptions showing that Jews had obtained the royal franchise for operating the country's mint. [July 2009]
WRONKI I: US Commission No. POCE000430
Town is located in Pila province at 52º43' N º16º23ºE, 40km from Poznan. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
This community dates from the 13th century, one of the oldest in Poland. They received the privilege to build a synagogue in 1528, then burnt at the turn of the 16th century to the 17th. In 1607, Zofia Czarnowska gave permission to build a masonry synagogue, which was destroyed in 1940. The cemetery was established close to the synagogue in 1607. No other community used this Progressive cemetery reached by turning directly off a public road, with no wall or gate. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Its size was 0.10 ha before WW2 and was liquidated in 1928. There are no gravestones or known mass graves. The municipality owns property is use for recreation. Adjacent areas are residential. The cemetery was vandalized before WW2.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szecin, ul. Sottysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on 30 Aug 1991. Documentation: sources from Mr. Fijalkowski.
WRONKI II: US Commission No. POCE000431
The unlandmarked cemetery is located in the district called Zamosc on Szcize Street, 1 km from Wronki.. No other community was using this Progressive cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, or gate. Its size before WW2 and now is 1.68 ha. No gravestones remain. Stones were used in building foundations. The municipality owns site used for agricultural use and waste dumping and partially built up. Adjacent property is agricultural, residential, and forest. Size is smaller due to housing development [sic: contradicts previous] The cemetery was vandalized during WW2. There is no maintenance or cemetery structures, only residential housing within the limits of the cemetery. Vandalism and incompatible development are very serious threats.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szecin, ul. Sottysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on 30 Aug 1991 using sources from Mr. Fijaikorski.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 28 July 2009 12:26|