You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WOLOMIN: Mazowieckie
WOLOMIN: Mazowieckie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Wołomin [Pol], Volomin [Воломин-Rus, וואלאמין-Yid], Wołumin. 52°21' N, 21°15' E. Jewish population: 3,079 (in 1921). Yizkor: Sefer zikaron kehilat Wolomin, (Tel Aviv, 1971). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XIII, p. 914: "Wołumin".

This main town of Wołomin County in Masovian Voivodship is 20 km E of Warsaw near the railway to Białystok with about 36,000 inhabitants. Jewish settlement in Wolomin dates from the end of the 19th century. Jewish industrialists contributed to the development of the city while other Jews engaged in small-scale trade and crafts. Divisions were clear between local Zionists and Chassids. 1921 census: 3,079 Jews, 49.2%. A synagogue and two houses of prayer existed. The city had numerous Jewish organizations. 1934, five Jews were elected to the city council with twenty-four seats. The Nazis occupied Wołomin on September 13, 1939. In December, they created a ghetto near today's stadium "Hurricane" for about 2,700 people including those from other towns. The Judenrat was at ul. Nałkowskiej 17. At first, not isolated from the city, two-way trade was allowed, but that ended with poverty, hunger, and disease resulting. Liquidation of the ghetto in Wolomin occurred in October 1942. Most Jews were deported to Radzymin and from there to Treblinka. Between 416 and 620 Jews were shot, many elderly and sick, and buried in mass graves near ul. J. Korsaka. In 1943, a forced labor camp for Huta Glass existed here. Few survived WWII. Jewish wołomińscy. Jews of Wołomin. Holocaust in Wołomin:  [July 2009]

 

CEMETERY: The cemetery was located west of the veterinary facility on ul. Ślepej (current ul. Andersa). The cemetery was vandalized during WWII and destroyed after liberation. Medical students even stole skeletons. In 1957, leaders of Socio-Cultural Association of Jews in Poland warned the Bureau of the National Council of the Wolomin of the open graves with exposed bones. The ground was rebuilt partially as a cemetery in the 1970s with a fence and several remaining gravestones; however, during construction of ul Andersa, everything disappeared except for fragments. map. [July 2009]

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 February 2010 10:15
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution