Alternate names: Wołczyn, Konstadt. 51°01' N 18°03' E, 152.4 miles WSW of Warszawa. Gmina Wołczyn is an urban-rural administrative district in Kluczbork powiat, Opole Voivodeship in SW Poland with its seat in the town of Wołczyn, 12 km (7 mi) west of Kluczbork and 40 km (25 mi) N of the regional capital Opole. The gmina 2006 total population was14,458 (6,139 in the town). Beside Wołczyn, Gmina Wołczyn contains the villages and settlements of Bruny, Brynica, Brzezinki, Duczów Mały, Duczów Wielki, Gierałcice, Komorzno, Krzywiczyny, Ligota Wołczyńska, Markotów Duży, Markotów Mały, Rożnów, Skałągi, Świniary Małe, Świniary Wielkie, Szklarnia Szymonkowska, Szum, Szymonków, Wąsice, Wierzbica Dolna, Wierzbica Górna and Wierzchy. Jews in Wołczynie settled after the 1812. In 1939, 80 Jews lived here.[July 2009]
Normal 0CEMETERY: (Byczyńska Street) NOTE: This is not a cemetery in Brzezinki. Established in 1833 two km from the town near the road to Byczyna, the last burial took place in 1913. During WWII, the Nazis vandalized the 0.2-hectare cemetery. 33 standing gravestones remain, the oldest gravestone (Jakob Josef Kafil) dates from 1833. Six gravestones of the Unger family, a gravestone of Samuel Dallman and a gravestone of Handol Zimmerman have Hebrew and German inscriptions. More matzevot may be buried. Landmark nr 228/89. The cemetery was cleaned and fenced in 2004 but has an open gate. Photos. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000534
Alternate German name: Konstadt. Town is at 51º118º3, 79 km from Wroclaw. The cemetery is located at ules Bezezinki. Present populaton is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The first Jewish settlement was after 1812 with 80 Jews before WW2. The Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established in 1833 with last burial in 1913. No other community used the cemetery. Landmark: 228/89. The isolated rural flat land has no sign or marker. Access is open to all by turning directly off a public road. The cemetery has a continuous fence with non-locking gate. The size before WWII and still is 0.23 ha, with 100 to 200 gravestones, 20-100 in original location and 50-75% broken or tumbled. The cemetery has no special sections. The oldest gravestone reads Jakob Josef Kafil, 14 September 1833. The sandstone flat stones with carved relief and one double tombstone have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting. There are no known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Rarely, private visitors stop. Adjacent property is agricultural. There has been some vandalism. Local authorities cleared vegetation and re-erected some stones but no care now. Vegetation is a seasonal problem preventing access. Security, vegetation and vandalism are moderate threats. Weather erosion, pollution and incompatible nearby existing development are slight threats.
Marcin Wodzinski, ul. Jednosci Narodowej 187/13, Wroclaw, Tel. 21 6908 completed survey on March 14, 1992 after a March 4 visit without interview.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 August 2010 10:33|