Alternate names: Wolbórz [Pol], Volborzh, וולבוז [Yid], Vol'buzh, Вольбуж [Rus], Wolbozh. 51°30' N, 19°50' E, 10 miles NE of Piotrków Trybunalski, 23 miles SE of Łódź. 1900 Jewish population: 437. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). This village in Piotrków powiat, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Wolbórz, 16 km (10 mi) NE of Piotrków Trybunalski and 41 km (25 mi) SE of the regional capital Łódz. The village has a population of 2,381. Gmina Wolbórz contains the villages and settlements of Adamów, Apolonka, Bogusławice, Bronisławów, Brudaki, Dębsko, Golesze Duże, Golesze Małe, Golesze-Parcela, Janów, Kaleń, Kolonia Dębina, Komorniki, Krzykowice, Kuznocin, Leonów, Lubiaszów, Lubiatów, Lubiatów-Zakrzew, Marianów, Młoszów, Młynary, Polichno, Proszenie, Psary Stare, Psary Witowskie, Psary-Lechawa, Stanisławów, Studzianki, Świątniki, Swolszewice Duże, Węgrzynów, Wolbórz, Żarnowica Duża, Żarnowica Mała and Żywocin. One former synagogue building remains. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: Established in 1862 in the forest SE of the town, during WWII, the Germans destroyed the 0,4 ha cemetery on which no gravestone remains. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000671
Wolborz is located in Piotrkow at 51º30 19º50, 11 km from Piotrkow. The cemetery is located about 2 km SE of the town in a forest. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery location is isolated wooded flat land with no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, gate, or fence surrounds the cemetery; some remnants of a continuous masonry wall stone walk are visible. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.42 ha and is now o.42 ha. There are no stones, known mass graves, or structures. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery use only. Properties adjacent are forest. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was not vandalized 1981-91 but no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access.
Jan Pawel Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21 m. 1, 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 9 Nov 1991. The site was not visited. The neighbor of the cemetery, living in the house No. 36., was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Monday, 27 July 2009 13:32|