You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WOLANOW: Masowieckie
WOLANOW: Masowieckie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Wolanów [Pol], Volonov [Yid], Volianuv, Волянув [Rus]. 51°23' N, 20°58' E, 8 miles W of Radom. 1900 Jewish population: 333. Gmina Wolanów is a rural administrative district in Radom powiat, Masovian Voivodeship in east-central Poland with its seat in the village of Wolanów, 12 km (7 mi) SW of Radom and 95 km (59 mi) S of Warsaw. The gmina  2006 total population is 8,291. Gmina Wolanów contains the villages and settlements of Bieniędzice, Chruślice, Franciszków, Garno, Jarosławice, Kacprowice, Kolonia Wolanów, Kowala-Duszocina, Kowalanka, Młodocin Większy, Mniszek, Podlesie, Rogowa, Sławno, Ślepowron, Strzałków, Wacławów, Waliny, Wawrzyszów, Wolanów, Wymysłów and Zabłocie. [July 2009]

Jews arrived soon after the founding of the town in 1780. In the 18th century, a wooden synagogue, mikvah, and a cemetery existed. The synagogue burned during WWI. Before WWI, a cheder also existed . In 1787, they owned 27 houses. In 1792, they received privileges from the town's owners. In 1921, there were 313 Jews in the town. Jewish history. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: The cemetery was situated near the road from Wolanów to Chronówek. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000085

The town is in Radomskie province at 51º24N 20º58E, 12 km from Radom and 143 Km from Lodz. The cemetery is agricultural near the road for Chronowek. Present population is 1000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Wojt Gminy, 26-625 Wolanow, ul. Radomska 10, Tel. 15.
  • Regional: Vojevodski Konservator Zabytkow, 26-600 Radom, ul. Moninski 5a, Tel. 2-13-16.

The Jewish community started in the 18th century. 1921 Jewish population was 313 (61%). The cemetery was established in the 18th century (maybe 1780) with last Orthodox or Conservative burial in 1940. The isolated rural flat land has no signs or markers. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. no stone is visible, The area before WWII and now is 0.7 ha, with no visible stones. No known mass graves or structures. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is agricultural. Private Jewish visitors rarely visit. It was vandalized during WW2 with no maintenance. Vegetation is a seasonal problem preventing access. Security, vegetation and incompatible development are slight threats.

Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey on August 21, 1991 after an August 2 visit.

Last Updated on Monday, 27 July 2009 13:28
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution