You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WOLA MICHOWA: Podkarpackie
WOLA MICHOWA: Podkarpackie PDF Print E-mail

49°14' N 22°09' E, 214.3 miles SSE of Warszawa.  This village in the administrative district of Gmina Komańcza in Sanok powiat, Subcarpathian Voivodeshipin SE Poland, close to the border with Slovakia, 15 km (9 mi) SE of Komańcza, 36 km (22 mi) S of Sanok, and 90 km (56 mi) S of the regional capital Rzeszów had a population of 90. Wola Michów is located in the Osława valley on the way to the Komańczy CISN. Before WWII, Wola Michów was a large village. Jews lived here since 1612 and were about 20% of the population. The village is completely destroyed during WWII. The two synagogues, the rabbi's house and cheder are gone.[July 2009]

Normal 0 CEMETERY: The cemetery is located on the back hill east of the creek and 750 meters from the road is at the trail to the Żebrak pass, 0.5 km from the farmers' market. Coming from Cisnej, turn right across the main road and take Osławę. The cemetery is on the right of the road and can only be reached on foot. 30 or 50 gravestones, the oldest from 1797, are visible. Photos. photos [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000737

It is situated in Krosno province at 49º14N 29º9 E, 93 km far from Krosno and 52 Km from Sanok. The cemetery is address of the 3 Voloi Michowa; 300 meters NE of the PKS bus station. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Gmini, tel. 38-543 Komanzca; their telephone is #35, and the telex is 65232 ug. Mayor Alojzy Cabata, ul Bieniroidzka 1, 38-400 Krosno, Tel. 21-974.
  • Regional: Wojewodrki Konservator Zobytlow.

1921 Orthodox Jewish population was 148. The unlandmarked isolated rural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off public road, access is open to all with no wall no fence, no gate. Less than 20 gravestones remain, some in original location and more than 75% broken or toppled. Some removed stones were used in roads. The cemetery is not divided in sections. Stones date from 1797-20th centuries. The sandstone, finely smoothed and inscribed or carved and/or double tombstones have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no known mass graves and no structures. The cemetery was vandalized during WW2, with no care. OR a regular caretaker. [sic] The site is used as a Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is agricultural. Private visitors rarely visit. Security and overgrown vegetation are serious threats. Vegetation is a constant problem, damaging stones.

Piotr Antoniak, ul Dobra 5 m 36, 05-800 Priszkow completed survey September 10, 1992. He visited site and interviewed Jan Tomkiewicz, ul. Nadbrzezna 205, 38-521 Rymanow, Zdroj, on August 7, 1992.

Last Updated on Monday, 27 July 2009 13:23
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution