Alternate names: Wojsławice [Pol], Voyslavits, וואיסלאוויץ [Yid], Voislavitse, Войславице [Rus], Voslovichl, Voislavize, Woislawice, Wloslawitz. 50°55' N, 23°33' E, 15 miles S of Chełm. Jewish population: about 800. This village in Radzyń Podlaski powiat, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Wohyń, 12 km (7 mi) E of Radzyń Podlaski and 58 km (36 mi) N of the regional capital Lublin. The village had a population of 2,000. [July 2009]
OLD CEMETERY: Established in the mid-16th century, the 0.8-ha or 1.2-ha cemetery was located on the eastern side of the road and extending to the bank of Barbarka River , 300 meters from Wojslawice-Grabowice road.. During WWII, the cemetery was devastated completely by the Nazis.Today in the cemetery is an abandoned brick barn. After WWII, local authorities gave permission to build a veterinary hospital. [July 2009]
NEW CEMETERY: Established about 1800 on a hill on Chelmska St by the road to Chelm with fields on the east. The 3.0-ha. area is fenced and contains about 80 matzevot. Photos and video. [July 2009]
US Commission No. AS 203
The town is located in Chelm region at 23º33E 50º55N, 25 km S of Chelm. Cemetery: ul. Grabowiecka (800 m S of town center). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 15th century. 1921 Jewish population was 835 (36.8%). Expulsion of the Jews from the town occurred in the third quarter of the 18th century. During that time, some Frankists stayed there a short period of time. The cemetery was established in the 15th century with last Orthodox Jewish burial 1942. Krasniczyn, about 15 km away, also used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a broken fence and no gate. Approximate size of the cemetery before the war and now is 0.64 hectare. 1-20 stones in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken date from 1810-19th century. The limestone rough stones or boulders have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property used as a Jewish cemetery and as "scrub" land. Adjacent property is agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized after World War II with no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security, weather erosion and vandalism are slight threats. Vegetation is a seasonal and/or constant problem.
Pawel Sygowski, Kalinowszczyzna 64/59, 20-201 Lublin, tel. 77-20-78, who visited the site in 1984 and 1985, completed survey. Additional documentation besides Mr. Sygowski's work was too old and not used. Interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Monday, 27 July 2009 13:13|