You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WOHYN: Lubelski
WOHYN: Lubelski PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Wohyń [Pol], Vohin, ווכין [Yid], Vokhyn' , Вохынь [Rus], Wohyń Lubelski. 51°45' N, 22°47' E, 7 miles ESE of Radzyń Podlaski, 16 miles S of Międzyrzec Podlaski, and 58 km (36 mi) N of the regional capital Lublin. 1900 Jewish population: about 1,000. Gmina Wohyń is a rural administrative district in Radzyń Podlaski powiat, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland with its seat in the village of Wohyń. The gmina 2006 total population is 7,221. Gmina Wohyń contains the villages and settlements of Bezwola, Bojanówka, Branica Suchowolska, Kuraszew, Lisiowólka, Ossowa, Ostrówki, Planta, Suchowola, Świerże, Wohyń, Wólka Zdunkówka and Zbulitów Mały. [July 2009]

OLD CEMETERY: Normal 0 The exact localization of old Jewish cemetery is unknown. The Germans destroyed it during Nazi occupation and was built over after WWII. [July 2009]

Normal 0

NEW CEMETERY: Normal 0 Located south of the village on ul Parczewska on the right side of the last buildings by high poplars and lindens. A map on the front of the church marks the location. The 0.5-hectarecemetery is not fenced or marked. The overgrown vegetation precludes finding the damanged granite matzevot during the growing seasons since most are no more than 30-40 cm above the ground. The about fifty matzevot are stone field, usually without additional decorative elements. The Nazis vandalized the cemetery during WWII.  A garbage dump is at the front since 2005. Photos.  [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000385

Alternate name: Wohin (Vokhin) (Yiddish). The town is located in Bielsko-Podlaskie region at 51º45 22º47, 62 km N of Lublin. Cemetery: ul. Parczewska. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Gminy Wohyu, ul. Radzynska. Tx. 863489.
  • Regional: PSOZ-WKZ, ul. Brzeska 41, 21-500 Biala Podlaska. Interested: Zarzad Ochony i Konserwaci Zespolow Palacowo, Ogrodowych, ul. Szwolezerow 9, 00-464 Warszawa. Tel. 817481.

The earliest known Jewish community was mid-16th century. Jewish population as (census) before World War II was 1025. In 1897, Jews numbered 1367 out of 2768. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has a plaque in Polish reading "Cmentarz Wyznania Mojzeszowego (Cemetery of Jewish Faith). Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. 1-20 granite tombstones with inscriptions in Hebrew are visible. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The cemetery property used for a Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is agricultural. There are no structures or maintenance. Vegetation is a seasonal problem preventing access. Security (moderate threat), vegetation (moderate threat), vandalism (moderate threat).

Michal Witwicki, Dembowshiego 12/53, 02-784 Warszawa. Tel. 6418345 completed survey on 12 Sept. 1991 after a visit him and Eleonora Bergman on 3 Aug. 1991. No interviews were conducted. There is a documentation card for the site.

Last Updated on Monday, 27 July 2009 13:00
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution