Alternate names: Witnica, Vietz, Vietz Ostbahnhof. 52°40' N 14°54' E, 258.2 miles W of Warszawa. Gmina Witnica is an urban-rural administrative district in Gorzów powiat, Lubusz Voivodeship in western Poland with the seat in the town of Witnica, 25 km (16 mi) W of Gorzów Wielkopolski. Beside the town of Witnica (population: 6,849) , Gmina Witnica contains the villages and settlements of Białcz, Białczyk, Boguszyniec, Dąbroszyn, Kamień Mały, Kamień Wielki, Kłopotowo, Krześniczka, Mościce, Mościczki, Mosina, Nowe Dzieduszyce, Nowiny Wielkie, Oksza, Pyrzany, Sosny, Stare Dzieduszyce, Świerkocin and Tarnówek. [July 2009]
Normal 0 Established in the SW part of the town near a street that was then called Mühlenstraße on a sandy slope of a hill called Judenberge (Jewish Mountain) by the Germans, the cemetery probably dates from about 1800. In 1995, only 7 matzevot were visible. One (no longer extant) was from 1835. Despite Hitlerjugend jamboree here next to Judenberge in 1933, the cemetery was untouched until after the war at the end of the 1940s. Thieves stole all the gravestones more valuable than sandstone as well as the fence bricks. Overgrown vegetation, the cemetery became a trash dump for neighboring houses. A few times in the 1980s, boy scouts helped by the city authorities cleaned the grounds. In the 1990s, local authorities cleaned away the rubbish and installed an informational sign with a Mogen David and "Jewish Cemetery." Twice the sign received graffiti. Now, all gravestones are gone. Photos. Photos of missing gravestones. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE00348
Alternate German name: Vietz. The town is in Gorzow Wielkopolski at 52º'40"N 14º'54"E, 20 km from Kostrzyn. Cemetery: ul. Wojsha Polsoskiego. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
1921 Jewish population was 11. The unlandmarked cemetery was established in the mid-19th century. The town of Lubiszyn, 12 km away, used the cemetery. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a broken masonry wall but no gate. Approximate size of the cemetery before and after the war was about 0.2 hectare 1-20 stones, some in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1871, 1874, 1882 and 1884-20th century. The cemetery was not divided into sections. The sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed, flat with carved relief decoration, or double tombstones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The municipality presently owns the property used as a Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent property is residential and agricultural. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance or care. There are no structures within the cemetery. Security, weather erosion and vandalism are moderate threats; vegetation is a slight threat.
Henryk Grecki, ul. Soltysia 3/13, 70-534 Szczecin. Tel. 37741 completed survey 14 August 1991. He did not visit and conducted no interviews.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 26 July 2009 19:34|