You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WISLICA (Vayslits, Vishlitsa, Wyslica) : Świętokrzyskie
WISLICA (Vayslits, Vishlitsa, Wyslica) : Świętokrzyskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Wiślica [Pol], Vayslits, ווייסליץ [Yid], Vislitza, Вислица [Rus], Vishlitsa, Veislitz, Wyslica, Wislits. 50°21' N, 20°41' E, 14 miles SE of Pińczów (Pintshev). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XIII, pp. 573-577: "Wiślica". 1900 Jewish population: about 1,300. Yizkor: Sefer Vayslits; dos Vayslitser yisker-bukh (Tel Aviv, 1971. This village in Busko County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in south-central Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Wiślica on the Nida River, 14 km (9 mi) south of Busko-Zdrój and 60 km (37 mi) S of the regional capital Kielce. 2006 village population was 680. Gmina Wiślica contains the villages and settlements of Brzezie, Chotel Czerwony, Gluzy, Górki, Gorysławice, Hołudza, Jurków, Kobylniki, Koniecmosty, Kuchary, Łatanice, Ostrów, Sielec, Skorocice, Skotniki Dolne, Skotniki Górne, Szczerbaków, Szczytniki, Wawrowice and Wiślica. [July 2009]

Jews settled in Wislica at the beginning of the 16th century. Jews were city traders competing with Christians. Gradually, with various privileges, the local Jews specialized in the production and sale of vodka, beer, and mead. Frictions were resolved a few times by the royal authorities until a royal privilege (de non tolerandis Judaeis) in 1542 was granted after the townsmen wanted to exclude Jews from Wislica. The Jews then settled outside the town wall. In (1656), Stefan Czarniecki's soldiers massacred 50 Jewish families by during the war with Swede. At the end of the 17th century, Jews settled again in Wislica. A kahal was established at the beginning of the 18th century. A synagogue was built in the town outskirts and a cemetery opened. In 1765, 184 Jews lived in the suburbs and 72 in the surrounding villages. In 1827, 785 Jews lived in Wislica (47.1%) increasing to 1,370 (69%) in 1857. Until 1862, Wislica was situated near the Austrian border and Jewish residence restricted. They were occupied in small trade, crafts, and transportation. In 1921, 1,341 Jews lived in (63%) Wislica. Normal 0 In 1939, about 1,500 Jews lived in Wislica. Their community was liquidated on Oct. 3, 1942, when 3,000 Jews from Wislica and its environs were deported from the Wiślica ghetto to Jedrzejow and then to Treblinka. The plot of land where the synagogue used to be is now a communist era apartment building. Of the mikvah, little trace remains. [July 2009]

KehilaLink [October 2012]

CEMETERY: The cemetery, devastated partly during WWII when gravestones used by the Nazis for road construction and partly afterward by people using the stone for various purposes like whetstones or for building. Now, overgrown with few remnants of matzevot sticking out and covered with graffiti. photos.  [July 2009]

Wikipedia article about the cemetery. [October 2012]

satellite view [October 2012]

US Commission No. POCE00282

The town is located in region Kielce at 50º'22N 20º51E, 14 km from Busko. Cemetery: Zlota Str. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Wojt Gminy Wislica, 28-160 Wislica. Tel. 86.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, ul. IX Wiekow Kielce, Kielce. Tel. 45634.

The earliest known Jewish community was about 1545 (possibly 15th century). 1921 Jewish population was 1314 (63.0%). Zygmunt August confirmated the privileges granted to the Jews in 1557. The cemetery was probably established in the 16th century with last Orthodox or Conservative Jewish burial 1942. Other communities did not use this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Approximate size of the cemetery before WWII was 1 hectare. The present size is about 0.5 hectare. 1-20 limestone and sandstone flat stones with carved relief decoration in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken date from possibly the 19th and 20th centuries. There are no inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality presently owns the property used for a park and animal grazing. Adjacent property is agricultural. Rarely, private non-Jewish visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years with no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security, weather erosion, vandalism and incompatible nearby development are moderate threats. Pollution and vegetation are slight threats.

ul. Gagavina 9/24, Radom. Tel. 48 - 366 35 34 completed survey. No interviews were conducted. He may have more information.

Last Updated on Saturday, 27 October 2012 11:33
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution