You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WINSKO: dolnośląskie
WINSKO: dolnośląskie PDF Print E-mail

File:POL gmina Wińsko COA.svg

Alternate names: Wińsko [Pol], Winzig [Ger], Winiec. 51°28' N, 16°38' E, 31 miles NW of Wrocław (Breslau), 27 miles S of Leszno (Lissa). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XIII, p. 563: "Winzig". Gmina Wińsko is a rural administrative district in Wołów County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship in SW Poland with its seat in the village of Wińsko, 14 km (9 mi) north of Wołów and 48 km (30 mi) NW of the regional capital Wrocław. Prior to 1945, Winsko (Winzig) was in Germany. The gmina 2006 total population was 8,658. The gmina contains the villages of Aleksandrowice, Baszyn, Białawy Małe, Białawy Wielkie, Białków, Boraszyce Małe, Boraszyce Wielkie, Brzózka, Budków, Buszkowice Małe, Chwałkowice, Czaplice, Dąbie, Domanice, Głębowice, Gołaszów, Gryżyce, Grzeszyn, Iwno, Jakubikowice, Kleszczowice, Konary, Kozowo, Krzelów, Łazy, Małowice, Młoty, Moczydlnica Klasztorna, Morzyna, Mysłoszów, Naroków, Orzeszków, Piskorzyna, Przyborów, Rajczyn, Rogów Wołowski, Rogówek, Rudawa, Słup, Smogorzów Wielki, Smogorzówek, Staszowice, Stryjno, Trzcinica Wołowska, Turzany, Węglewo, Węgrzce, Wińsko, Wrzeszów and Wyszęcice. [July 2009]

Normal 0

The Jewish population in Wińsku was small and began in the early 19th century, peaking in the 1871 with 68 Jews, in 1880-58, 1903-21, and in 1937 only 13. From the beginning, they held services at the inn called "Under the Black Eagle" ("Schwarzen Adler") and later in rented rooms of different homes. In 1832 they obtained new equipment and a torah and decided to build a synagogue at then Junkerstrasse 51 designed by architect Lüdecke Wrocławski and master mason Wolfsdorffowi Cieslielski Logisch. On September 18, 1862, Rabbi legnicki Landberg and Cantor Schisser consecrated the building. In 1919, the synagogue was connected to gas lighting. The kahal sold it in 1938 when no Jews remained in the village. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: According to a decree of 1814, the Jewish population had to establish their own cemetery over 1 mile from habitations. Three Jewish families living there purchased the land for the future cemetery in 1827: Markus Löbel Sachs, Abraham Kanter and Jonas Arnstein. A year later, they opened the cemetery and in two year built a wooden fence soon replaced by a stone wall and in 1883 a brick wall. In 1844, the Jewish community requested permission to establish a new cemetery because the land was wet. The authorities rejected the request. In 1904, they purchased a hearse. By 1914, about sixty people were buried there. Today, a deteriorating brick wall with no gate surrounds the 0.07-hectare cemetery. Concentrated in the center, about thirty gravestones include a very beautiful huge oak tree trunk gravestone. Most date from the second half of the 19th century. Many are damaged, but most mostly bilingual - German-Hebrew inscriptions survived. Video. The cemetery was founded in 1827 surrounded by brick wall. Fallen gravestones and opened tombs are visible. Video made in 2000. Photos http://www.kirkuty.xip.pl/winsko.htm [July 2009]

 

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution