|WIELKIE OCZY: Podkarpackie|
Alternate names: Wielkie Oczy [Pol], Vilkatch, Vilkutch, ויילקה אוצ'י [Yid], Velyki Ochi [Ukr], Vilkatchi, Vilkoch. 50°01' N, 23°09' E, 23 miles NE of Przemyśl, 12 miles NW of Yavoriv (Jaworów), 10 miles S of Lubaczów. 1900 Jewish population: 898. ShtetLink. This village in Lubaczów powiat, Subcarpathian Voivodeship in SE Poland, close to the border with Ukraine is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Wielkie Oczy, 17 km (11 mi) S of Lubaczów and 83 km (52 mi) E of the regional capital Rzeszów. The village population was 880. Gmina Wielkie Oczy contains the villages and settlements of Bihale, Czopy, Dumy, Gieregi, Kobylnica Ruska, Kobylnica Wołoska, Łukawiec, Majdan Lipowiecki, Mielnik, Niwa, Podłazy, Potok Jaworowski, Skolin, Sople, Szczeble, Tarnawskie, Wielkie Oczy, Wola, Wólka Żmijowska, Zagrobla and Żmijowiska. [July 2009]
Located just near the border with Ukraine, the village dates from the 16th century when Swidnica Miękickich founded it. [?] The beginning of Jewish settlement was in the second half of the 17th century although the kahał began in the early 18th century. In 1880, the 996 Jews living there were 50% of the populace, decreasing sharply due to immigration, cholera, and WWI. By WWII, ended the community. The few survivors, either having fled to Russia or hidden with the help of local people included two Jews, who after the war returned to their homes and were murdered by the local militia. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: The 18th century "Great Oczach" in the southern part of the village about two hundred meters from the market and the synagogue by the road leading to Skolina. During WWII, the cemetery was severely damaged.. In recent years, descendants of Jews from here, now living in Israel, and in Brazil cleaned the cemetery. With the help of the local parish priest, Fr. Józef Kluza, they recovered several dozen matzevot. The owner of property, on the stolen matzevot were found, asked for 30 thousand zlotys. The culmination was in court, but part of matzevot still remain in that house and barn. The renovation work also teaches students from local schools led by Bogdan Lisze of Oleszyce. At spring of 2006 erection of the memorial wall with the returned matzevot was planned. Scientific documentation on the gravestones was done by Professor Andrzej Trzcinski University of Lublin. In the village also is the devastated synagogue. Synagogue video. Great Oczach. Video. Photos. town history with photos. [July 2009]: "Austria-Hungary crown land of Galicia" [January 2001]
http://wielkieoczy.itgo.com (Polish). [January 2002]
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe . New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 79
"The gravestones were gone but were seen in use as supports for nearby barns." Source: Cohen, Chester G. "Jewish Cemeteries in Southern Poland" from `An Epilogue' in Shtetl Finder . 1980.
UPDATE: Alternate names: Yiddish: Vilkotch and Ukrainian – Velyki Ochi, Podkarpackie region at 50°01' N ; 23°09' E, 20 km from Lubaczow and40 km from Przemysl. Present total town population is 1,000 - 5,000 and no Jews. The cemetery is located on Krakowiecka St.
US Commission No. POCE000160
The town is located in Przemysl region at 50º01 23º10, 26 km from Jaroslaw and 50 km. from Przemysl. Cemetery: in the S part of the village (hamlet). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community dates from 1765. 1921 Jewish population was 487. The Orthodox town was founded in 1671 under the Magdeburg Law. The unlandmarked isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. The pre- and post-WWII cemetery size is 0.79 ha. 1-20 stones, sp,e original location with more than 75% broken or toppled date from 19th-20th century. The limestone flat-shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or flat stones with carved relief decoration are inscribed with Hebrew. There are no known mass graves. The unknown Jewish cemetery owner uses site as a "no use." Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. Occasionally, local residents stop. It has not been vandalized in the last ten years with no care or maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vandalism, weather erosion, and security are moderate threats.
Jan Pawel Woronczak, Sandomierska Str. 21m1, 02-567 Warszawa, tel. 49-54-62 completed survey using documentation of the Citizen's Committee for the Protection of Jewish Cemeteries in Poland. No site visit.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 25 July 2009 23:31|