You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WIDAWA: Łódźkie
WIDAWA: Łódźkie PDF Print E-mail
File:POL gmina Widawa COA.svg Alternate names: Widawa [Pol], Vidava [Yid, Rus], Видава [Rus], וידאווה [Yid]. 51°26' N, 18°57' E, 53 km (33 mi) SW of the regional capital Łódź, 13 miles SW of Łask, 12 miles S of Zduńska Wola. 1900 Jewish population: 530. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976). This village in Łask County, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Widawa. The village  population: 1,300. Gmina Widawa contains the villages and settlements of Brzyków, Chociw, Chrusty, Chrząstawa, Dąbrowa Widawska, Dębina, Górki Grabińskie, Goryń, Grabówie, Izydorów, Józefów Widawski, Kąty, Klęcz, Kocina, Kolonia Zawady, Korzeń, Las Zawadzki, Łazów, Ligota, Lucjanów, Ochle, Ochle-Kolonia, Osieczno, Patoki, Podgórze, Przyborów, Raczynów, Restarzew Cmentarny, Restarzew Środkowy, Rogóźno, Ruda, Sarnów, Sewerynów, Siemiechów, Świerczów, Widawa, Wielka Wieś A, Wielka Wieś B, Wincentów, Witoldów, Wola Kleszczowa, Zabłocie, Zawady and Zborów. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000677

The town is located in Sieradz region at 51º26N 18º57 E, 26 km from Lask. Cemetery: Kielczygowska Street. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Giminy, 98-710 Widawa, Rynek, tel. 34.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, ul. Kosciuski 3, 98-200 Sieradz, tel. 849-3815.
  • Interested: Urzad Wojewodzki w Sieradzu, Pal Wojewodzki 3, 98-200 Sieradz, tel. 849-71666. Zydowski Instytut Historyczny w Polsce, ul. Tlomackie 315, 00-090 Warszawa; tel. 27-92-21.

The earliest known Jewish community possibly dates from the 18th century and definitely the 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 773 (35%.) The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known Orthodox or Conservative Jewish burial 1940. Landmarked [no further details] The isolated suburban flat land by water has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public agricultural property, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII cemetery size is 2.0 ha. 1-20 stones in original location and 25-none broken or toppled date from 20th century. The limestone flat-shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or flat stones with carved relief decoration are inscribed in Hebrew. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for animal grazing, a sports field, and waste dumping. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. Occasionally, organized Jewish groups, individual tours, local residents, and private visitors stop. It was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years with no care or maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vandalism and security are serous threats. Vegetation and incompatible nearby development are moderate threats. Weather erosion, pollution, and incompatible nearby development are slight threats.

Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey and visited site in November 1992.

Last Updated on Friday, 24 July 2009 14:04
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution