You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WEJHEROWO: Pomorskie
WEJHEROWO: Pomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of WejherowoAlternate names: Wejherowo [Pol], Neustadt in Westpreußen [Ger], Weiherowo, Wejrowò, Veykherovo, Neustadt. 54°36' N, 18°14' E, 25 miles NW of Gdańsk (Danzig), 14 miles WNW of Gdynia. Jewish population: 168 (in 1871), 62 (in 1921). This town in Gdańsk Pomerania in northern Poland with 47,000 inhabitants in 2006 and the capital of Wejherowo powiat in Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999 and was in Gdańsk Voivodeship (1975-1998). [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000013
Alternate German name: Neustadt. The town is located in region Gdansk at 54º36 18º14, about 25 km. from Pucka and 48 km. from Gdansk. Cemetery: about 3 km. "na zchod od miasta, w osadzie Bolszewo" in a forest. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Prezydent Miasta, Urzad Miasta, 84-200 Wejherowo Pl. Jakuba Wejhera 8, tel. 72-23-16 centrala.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 80-881 Gdansk ul. Kotwicznikow 20, tel. 31-62-67, 31-62-68 centrala.
  • Interested: Regionalny Csrodek Studiow i Ochrony Srodowiska Kulturowego, 80-822 Gdansk, ul. Sw. Trojcy 5, tel. 31-77-12, 31-75- 22. Interested: Dr. Hanna Domanska, 81-742 Sopot, ul. Wladyslawa IV 34/3, tel. 51-04-22.
The earliest known Jewish community dates from 1818. 1921 Jewish population was 62. 1931 population combined with the village Puck was 33. In the 17th century, "community in the village of Bolszewo"; after 1808, was migration to the towns of Puck and Wejherowo. In the mid-19th century, 'board of the community and a synagogue" existed. After 1920 and 1933, emigration and extermination occurred. The Orthodox cemetery was established probably in the 17th century. Other communities that used this cemetery were about 1918 "gmnia z Sopotu, po r. 1920 Zydzi z Gdyni," Sopotu (32 km away) and Gdyni (23 km away). The last known burial was about 1940. Landmark: the master plan of Bolszewo. The isolated suburban forest at the crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The present cemetery size is 0.36 ha. No stones are visible. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing graves [sic ?]." There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is "las." Compared to 1939, the cemetery size is unknown. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The cemetery is visited rarely. It was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance or care. " Water drainage is a seasonal problem. The forest, open to the public, makes security and vandalism are serious threats. [Surveyor information missing]
Last Updated on Friday, 17 July 2009 01:11
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution