You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WEGORZYNO: Zachodniopomorskie
WEGORZYNO: Zachodniopomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Węgorzyno Alternate names: Węgorzyno, Wangerin. 53°32' N 15°33' E, 243.6 miles WNW of Warszawa. This town in Łobez powiat, West Pomeranian Voivodeship had a 2004 population of 3,031. Apart from the town of Węgorzyno, Gmina Węgorzyno contains the villages and settlements of Brzeźniak, Chwarstno, Cieszyno, Kraśnik Łobeski, Lesięcin, Mielno, Mieszewo, Podlipce, Przytoń, Runowo, Sarnikierz, Sielsko, Stare Węgorzynko, Sulice, Trzebawie, Wiewiecko, Winniki and Zwierzynek. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: Normal 0 Located at Zielona Street 7, the 0.06-ha cemetery was established in 1820 or 1836. During WWII, the cemetery was destroyed. About 100 gravestones remain in the vandalized and overgrown site. By 1978, no fence remained. The old gravestones with inscriptions in Hebrew date from 1836-1856. Some marble and granite gravestones remain. In 1998, on east portion in the overgrowth, gravestones were lost. In 1995 in the other portion was a waste dump. Compared with 1939, the size is smaller. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000212

Alternate German name: Wangerin. The town is located in region Szczecin at 53º40N 15º30E. Cemetery: ul. Zielona 7. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Ryszard Brodzinski, Burmistrz [mayor], 73-320 Wegorzyno, tel. 168; 172 Wegorzyno and Urzad Miasta I Gminy w Wegorzyno, ul. 73-320 Wegorzyno, tel. 168 & 172.
  • Regional: mgr. Ewa Stanecka, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, ul. Kusnierska nr 20; 70-536 Szczecin, tel. 34-804.

The earliest known Jewish community dates from about 1836 [or 1820]. The unlandmarked cemetery was established in 1836 or 1820 with last known burial about 1940. The isolated urban flat land has a sign or plaque in Polish and Jewish symbols on wall, gate, or possibly plaque. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII cemetery size is 0.06 ha. 20-100 stones, 1 to 20 in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1836 or 1856. The 19th and 20th century marble, granite, and other rough stones/boulders and flat shaped stones are Hebrew and German inscribed. There are no known mass graves. The municipality and private individual(s) own the property used for residential, storage and waste dumping. Adjacent property is agricultural and residential. Compared to 1939, the cemetery size may be reduced. Within the limits of the cemetery are private residences. Occasionally, local residents stop. It was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years with no maintenance or care. Within the cemetery are residences. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Security and incompatible nearby development, existing and planned, are very serious threats. Vandalism and vegetation are serious threats. Weather erosion and pollution are moderate threats.

Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul. Moniuszki 4/B, 73-110 Stargard, tel. 73-44-40 Stargard completed survey on 20 October 1991 using Branowski, 1963 "Cmentarze Zydowskie w region Szczinskim PKZ W-wa." He visited the site on 17 October 1991 but conducted no interviews. He is interested in the site.

Last Updated on Friday, 24 July 2009 13:28
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution