You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WEGORZEWO: Warmińsko-Mazurskie
WEGORZEWO: Warmińsko-Mazurskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of WęgorzewoAlternate names: Węgorzewo, Angerburg [Ger], Ungura [Lith], Węgobork. 54°13' N 21°44' E, 138.9 miles NNE of Warszawa. This tourist town in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship not far from the border with Russia's Kaliningrad Oblast is the seat of Węgorzewo powiat. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: The cemetery located on the current Szkolna Street was founded in the 19th century in Amtskrug woods where in the 18th century a cremation cemetery for the Bogaczewska culture (Prussian Galindians stemming Roman influence) existed. As late as 1927, cremation graves from up to 1500 years ago were discovered. Now, the old woods surround the cemetery. A few dozen gravestones face present-day Zamkowa Street. After WWII, the cemetery had no fence or wall and became choked with weeds. In 1972 or 1973, the area was plowed over and replanted during the construction of nearby homes. The cemetery's gravestones were most likely buried under new earth dumped on the area. Currently, only one terrazzo gravestone is visible [Sara Arschinowitz (1881-1917)] with a German inscription. Another damaged sandstone gravestone secured in the Węgorzewo Museum is currently undergoing conservation. The base of a third gravestone is located within the grounds of the nearby Public Elementary School nr. 1. [July 2009]

US Commission No. AS 197

Alternate name: Angerburg. The town is in region Suwalskie at 54º13 N 21º15 E, 26 km from Gizycko and 131 km. from Olsztyn. Cemetery: ul. Wyzwolenia/Ogrodowa, na dz [lot, parcel] 81. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Wladyslaw Anchim, Burmistrz [mayor], Urzad Miasta I Gminy w Wegorzewie, 11-600 Wegorzewo, ul. Zamkowa 3, tel. 721 21.
  • Regional: Stanislaw Tumidajewicz, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 16-400 Suwalki, ul. Kosciuszki 7, tel. 663741.

The earliest known Jewish community dates from the first half of the 19th century. The unlandmarked isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII cemetery size is 0.06 ha. There are stones visible or known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is residential. Rarely, local residents visit. It was vandalized during World War II but not in the last ten years with no maintenance or care except occasional clearing or cleaning by local authorities. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Incompatible nearby development is a slight threat.

Dr. Janusz Mackiewicz, 16-400 Suwalki, ul. 1 Maja 27a/47, tel. Sl. 663741 and tel. d. 663756 completed survey on 10 April 1994.

Last Updated on Friday, 24 July 2009 13:30
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution