You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland WAWOLNICA: Lubelskie
WAWOLNICA: Lubelskie PDF Print E-mail

File:POL powiat puławski COA.svg Alternate names: Wąwolnica [Pol], Vanvolnitsa, Вонвольница [Rus], Vonvolitz, וונבולניצה [Yid], Vonvolnits, Vonvolnitza, Vanvolnica. 51°17' N, 22°08' E, 19 miles W of Lublin, 12 miles SE of Puławy. 1900 Jewish population: 836. This village in Puławy powiat, Lublin Voivodeship in eastern Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Wąwolnica, 19 km (12 mi) SE of Puławy and 31 km (19 mi) W of the regional capital Lublin. Gmina Wąwolnica contains the villages and settlements of Bartłomiejowice, Celejów, Grabówki, Huta, Karmanowice, Kębło, Łąki, Łopatki, Łopatki-Kolonia, Mareczki, Rąblów, Rogalów, Stanisławka, Wąwolnica, Zarzeka, Zawada and Zgórzyńskie. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: Located on a small hill at ul. 3 Maja, the 0.45-ha cemetery was established in the beginning of 19th century.  Only one matzeva with some fragments from a few broken ones. A Holocaust memorial is present.  photos. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000186

The town is located in Lublin region at 51º17 22º08, 30 km from Lublin; 4 km from Netenow; 16 km. from Kazimierz Dolny; and 24 km. from Pulawy. Location of cemetery: about 1 km E of the market square at Zarzecze. Present town population is 1,00 to 5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Gminy, ul. Lubelska 35, tel. 1.
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, ingr. Inz. awch. H. Landecka, Lublin, Pl. Lilewski 1, 290-35.

The earliest known Jewish community dates from the first quarter of the 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 1,043 (35%.) The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established first quarter of the 19th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial 1942. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property (crops), access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The pre-and post-WWII cemetery size is 0.2 (?) ha. 1 to 20 stones, in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 20th century. The sandstone, flat stones with carved relief decoration are Hebrew inscribed. There are no known mass graves. The unknown owner uses site as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. It was vandalized during and after World War II with no maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. The unfenced area is overgrown with forest and dense bushes. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Peasants use the remaining pieces of the matserot as whetstones. Security is a moderate threat.

Pawel Sygowski, ul. Kaliwowszcruzna 64/59, 20-201 Lublin completed survey in December 1991. He visited in October 1990 and conducted interviews.

Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 19:07
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution