Alternate names: Warka [Pol], Varka, Варка [Rus], Vorke, װורקע [Yid], Vurka, Vurke. 51°47' N, 21°12' E, 33 miles SSE of Warszawa, 25 miles N of Radom. 1900 Jewish population: 2,548. Yizkor: Vurka; sefer zikaron (Tel Aviv, 1976. The town in central Poland on the left bank of Pilica river (60 km/37 mi south of Warsaw), with 11,035 inhabitants in 2004 in Grójec powiat, in Masovian Voivodeship since 1999 and in Radom Voivodeship from 1975 to 1998. Gmina Warka is an urban-rural administrative district in Grójec powiat. Apart from the town of Warka, Gmina Warka contains the villages and settlements of Bończa, Borowe, Branków, Brzezinki, Budy Michałowskie, Budy Opożdżewskie, Dębnowola, Gąski, Gośniewice, Grażyna, Grzegorzewice, Gucin, Hornigi, Kalina, Kazimierków, Klonowa Wola, Konary, Krześniaków, Laski, Lechanice, Magierowa Wola, Michalczew, Michałów Dolny, Michałów Górny, Michałów-Parcele, Murowanka, Niwy Ostrołęckie, Nowa Ostrołęka, Nowa Wieś, Nowe Biskupice, Nowe Grzegorzewice, Opożdżew, Oskardów, Ostrołęka, Ostrówek, Palczew, Palczew-Parcela, Paulin, Piaseczno, Pilica, Podgórzyce, Prusy, Przylot, Stara Warka, Stare Biskupice, Wichradz, Wola Palczewska, Wrociszew and Zastruże. photos of Jewish sites in town. Orthodox Jew attacked in cemetery in 2008. [July 2009]
Jews settled in Warka in the second half of the 18th century. For decades, the Jews made up half of the population. In 1800, 339 Jews lived in Warka (51.5%). That ration held in 1921 with 50.5. Jewish history. The city had an important wooden synagogue before WWII. The city was an important Chassidic center. After the outbreak of World War II, many Jews escaped Warki, seeking refuge in the Soviet occupation zone. Other Jews were subjected to numerous repression. In 1940 many died of disease in the ghetto. In February 1941, Jews were deported from Warki to Treblinka. Few survived. [July 2009]CEMETERY: Located on a hill above the Pilicą river near the railway bridge at ul. Baczyńskiego, the 0.5-hectare cemetery established at the end of the 18th was enlarged twice and fenced. As a result of WWII damage, no gravestones remain. Several years ago the alleged tomb of Icchak Kalisza had a red brick ohel with metal stairs leading from the river replaced one destroyed by vandals. The abandoned cemetery is a dump littered with liquor bottles from drunks drinking there at night. Vandals breached the lattice door of the chapel and filled the walls with anti-Semitic graffiti. The sandy escarpment on the banks of the Pilica has open graves revealing bones. Photos. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE00063
Alternate Yiddish name: Vurke. The town is located in Radomskie region at 51º47 21º11, 56 km from Warsaw. Cemetery: Bielanska Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community dates from about 1811. 1921 Jewish population was 2,176 (50.5%.) Icchak from Warka and Mendel from Warka lived here. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established between 1795 and 1811 with last known Orthodox Hasidic (Przysucha) or Conservative Jewish burial 1942. The isolated suburban crown of a hill by water, has no sign but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall and a marker mentioning Jews and famous individuals buried in cemetery. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. [SIC: This contradicts symbols and a marker on the gate or wall.] The pre-WWII cemetery size was 1.0 ha; post-WWII size is 0.5 ha. No stones or known mass graves exist. The municipality owns the property used for park and Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is recreational, agricultural, and residential. The boundaries are smaller, reduced by new roads. Frequently, organized Jewish groups, individual tours, and private Jewish visitors stop. It was vandalized during World War II. Occasionally, authorities clean or clear. Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel. Vandalism and vegetation are slight threats. Incompatible nearby development is a moderate threat.
Adam Penkalla, deceased, completed survey on 19 Aug 1991 after visit on 10 July 1991.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 18:33|