Alternate names: Wałcz [Pol], Deutsch Krone [Ger], Wôłcz. 53°16' N, 16°28' E, 14 miles NW of Piła (Schneidemühl). Jewish population: 647 (in 1871), 337 (in 1913). This county town in Walcz, gmina, Wałcz powiat of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship in NW Poland and previously part of the Piła Voivodeship. 2004 population is 26,312. Gmina Wałcz contains the villages and settlements of Boguszyn, Brzezinki, Bukowa Góra, Chude, Chwiram, Czapla, Czechyń, Czepiec, Dębołęka, Dobino, Dobrogoszcz, Dobrzyca, Dobrzyca Leśna, Dzikowo, Glinki, Głowaczewo, Golce, Górnica, Gostomia, Iłowiec, Jarogniewie, Jeziorko, Karsibór, Kłębowiec, Kłosowo, Kołatnik, Kolno, Łąki, Laski Wałeckie, Lipie, Lubno, Ługi Wałeckie, Morzyca, Nagórze, Nakielno, Nowa Szwecja, Olszynka, Omulno, Ostrowiec, Papowo, Piława, Pluskota, Popowo, Prusinówko, Prusinowo Wałeckie, Przybkowo, Różewo, Rudki, Rudnica, Rusinowo, Rutwica, Sitowo, Smoląg, Sosnówka, Strączno, Świętosław, Szwecja, Wałcz Drugi, Witankowo and Zdbice. [July 2009]
Jewish settlement in the city dates from the second half of the 16th century, probably 1623, when Jews expelled from Brandenburg arrived in Wałcz. Ul Żydowska (currently ul. Tęczowa was the site of a Jewish bakery and a tavern that led to a protest of townspeople fearing competition. At first, Jews could live only in isolated parts of the city along the lakeshore. In 1698 years, Jews held 37 homes and a synagogue built in 1631. 240 Jews in 1774 increased to 564 in 1831 and 647 in 1871. Immigration caused a decline so before WWI 337 Jews remained down to 250 in 1939. The Nazis subjected them to increasing repression and terror. During Kristallnacht the synagogue was burned. Many were taken Sachsenhausen. The last Jews were deported in March 1940 to eastern Polish ghettos. [July 2009]CEMETERY: Established in the first half of the nineteenth century on ul Królowej Jadwigi, the 0.75-ha parcel was completely destroyed and replaced with a house of culture. Photo. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000423
Alternate German name: Deutsch Krone. Town is located in Pila region at 53º17' 16º28', 25 km from Pila. The cemetery location is 11 Bienita St. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1623 when the Jews lived in the former Kiecz area, later Jewish Street. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 250. The synagogue dating to the 17th century was burnt in 1706, 1711, and 1938. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the 17th century. Jewish community was Progressive/Reform. The isolated urban flat land has no sign, marker, wall, fence, or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery was .75 hectare before 1939. There are no visible gravestones, known mass graves, or structures. The municipality owns site used for recreation. Adjacent property is residential. It is smaller in size than in 1939 due to housing development. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII with no maintenance, no care. There are no current threats.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szcrecin, 3/73 Soltysia St., tel. 377-41 completed survey using the documentation form on August 30, 1991. He did not visit.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 18:17|