|USTRZYKI DOLNE: Podkarpackie|
Alternate names: Ustrzyki Dolne [Pol], Istrik, איסטריק [Yid], Ustriki Dolishni, Устрики Долішні [Ukr], Istryk, Astrik, Estrik, Uschiki Dolne, Ustrik, Myasto Ustshiki Dol'ne, Ustshiki-Dol'ne, Ustriki-Dol'nyye, Nizhniye Ustriki, Nizhne-Ustriki. 49°26' N, 22°35' E, n SE Poland, 50 miles SSE of Rzeszów, 26 miles SSW of Przemyśl. In Ukrainian S.S.R. 1945-1951. Jewish population: 2,328 (in 1910). Yizkor: Sefer yizkor; mukdash le-yehudei ha-ayarot she-nispu ba-shoa be-shanim 1939-44, Linsk, Istrik, Beligrod, Litovisk veha-sevivah (Tel Aviv, 1965). JOWBR: Jewish Cemetery. This town in SE Poland, close to the border with Ukraine in the Subcarpathian Voivodeship since 1999 and seat of Gmina Ustrzyki Dolne, the capital of Bieszczady powiat had a 2009 population of 9,383. Beside the town of Ustrzyki Dolne, Gmina Ustrzyki Dolne contains the villages and settlements of Arłamów, Bandrów Narodowy, Brelików, Brzegi Dolne, Dźwiniacz Dolny, Grąziowa, Hoszów, Hoszowczyk, Jałowe, Jamna Dolna, Jamna Górna, Jureczkowa, Krościenko, Kwaszenina, Leszczowate, Liskowate, Łobozew Dolny, Łobozew Górny, Łodyna, Moczary, Nowosielce Kozickie, Ropienka, Równia, Serednica, Stańkowa, Teleśnica Oszwarowa, Trójca, Trzcianiec, Ustjanowa Dolna, Ustjanowa Górna, Wojtkowa, Wojtkówka, Wola Romanowa, Zadwórze and Zawadka. [July 2009]
Jewish settlement dates from the 17th century. In 1765 162 Jews (70 adults) lived there and had a rabbi. In 1777, the kahał formed. By 1785, 190 Jews lived here and in 1870, 926 with a synagogue, cemetery and school with 30 students and two rabbis. In the 1880s, Jews were a majority of the city's inhabitants with 1,146 Jews out of 1,824 total residents. WWII destruction included many Jews executed in the city or dying in Sobibor and Belzec. Today, the synagogue remains standing. Jewish history. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: The 18th or 19th century cemetery on the other side of Strwiąży is located relatively near the center of town on a hill above the railroad tracks. The easiest approach is crossing the urban area of the stadium. Approximately 400-meters from the pitch side is a clump of trees that hide the cemetery. An inventory made in 2006 reveals 300 gravestones. The unfenced area, heavily overgrown, is surrounded by difficult to traverse thickets. A small brook runs by the cemetery. The site shows no evidence of vandalism. Cemetery care is done by local middle school students led by prof. Edyty Guli. Photos. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000736
Ustrzyki Dolne is located in the Krosno region at 49º26' 22º36', 38 km from Soinok and 80 km from Krosno. The cemetery is S of the market square behind the railway. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
1921 Orthodox Jewish population was 1768. The unlandmarked isolated suburban hillside has no sign, wall, fence, or gate. Reached by crossing public property, access is open to all. The present size is.8 hectare as before 1939. 20-100 gravestones, some in original position with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. The sandstone or concrete finely smoothed and inscribed stones with carved relief decorations have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no structures. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are recreational and agricultural. Rarely, private individuals visit. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. Local/ municipal authorities re-erected stones and cleared vegetation in 1989. There is no current care. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem disturbing stones. Pollution and vandalism are slight threats. Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats.
Piotr Antonioik, 5 m 35 Dobra St., 05-800 Prieszkow, completed this survey on September 11, 1992 after a visit on August 8, 1992.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 16:05|