You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland USTRON: śląskie
USTRON: śląskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Ustroń Ustroń , 49°43' N 18°48' E, 199.3 miles SSW of Warszawa. This health resort town in Cieszyn Silesia, southern Poland in the Silesian Voivodeship since 1999 and previously in Bielsko-Biała Voivodeship (1975-1998) in the Silesian Beskids mountain range. In 1910, the 107 Jews were 2.5% of the population. The village futuristic outlook results from a cluster of pyramid-shaped hotels. town and spa history. [July 2009]

Normal 0 CEMETERY: Katowicka Street. The Jewish cemetery was founded in 1905 in Goje district. During WWII, the Germans destroyed it. In 1970s, a freeway from Katowice to Wisła was built through the middle of the cemetery. Some gravestones were transferred to the municipal cemetery in Katowicka Street. The beit tahara was pulled down. In the 0.1-ha cemetery, no gravestones survived. Local authorities placed sign identifying the site: "The Jewish section was established from the Jewish cemetery founded in 1905 but devastated during the building of the freeway in 1970s. The surviving part was included in the municipal cemetery in 1994. The Jewish section was restored at the initiative and expense of the town". Some of the surviving obelisks are located among Catholic gravestones. Photos. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: Another part of the cemetery was used for waste dumping. In 1994, at the request of Otto Windholz from Melbourne, the existing fence was extended to include the communal cemetery as a separate Jewish cemetery. A plaque was placed also. Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad [date?]

Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 15:49
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution