Alternate names: Uniejów [Pol], Uniayev [Yid], Brückstadt [Ger, 1939-45]. 51°58' N, 18°48' E, 32 miles NW of Łódź, 34 miles NE of Kalisz. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, pp. 802-804: "Uniejów". 1900 Jewish population: 960. This town in Poddębice powiat, Łódź Voivodeship had with 2,960 inhabitants in 2004. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: The Jewish cemetery in Uniejów in the forest outside the town's border is about 150 meters from the road to Dąbie. Founded in the 19th century, the last recorded burial took place in 1939. During WWII, the Germans completely destroyed the cemetery. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000710
Uniejow is located in Konin region, 55 km from Konin. The cemetery is around 150 meters west of the road to Dabie. Present population is 1,000-5,000, no Jews.
1939 Jewish population was 1400 (40%). Grinevald-chairman of a bank, Lewin-a grain merchant, and Gross-a manufacturer lived here. The cemetery was established in the 19th century with last Orthodox or Progressive/Reform burial in 1939. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery is now 51.21 sq.m. as before WWII. No gravestones are visible. [sic: sandstone is indicated]. No structures. The cemetery was vandalized during WWII. There is no maintenance, no care. Municipality owns property used for storage. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial. Rarely, local residents stop. At the site, used building materials (cement) are stored and sand heap probably from nearby agricultural machine park. The cemetery border is being destroyed by the dirt road.
Lucja Pawlicka-Nowak, 15/76 Listopeda St., 62 510 Konin, tel. 43-43-56 completed survey August 20, 1992 after a visit on the same day. Reports and interviews with residents were used. Czestaw Tomczak, 29 Kilinskiego St., Uniejow, tel. 255 was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 14:58|