You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland TYSZOWCE: Lubelskie
TYSZOWCE: Lubelskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of TyszowceAlternate names: Tyszowce [Pol], Tishevitz, טישיוויץ [Yid], Tishovtse, Тышовце [Rus], Tishevits, Tishovits, Tishvits, Tishivits, Tishvitz, Toshvitse, Tyszviec. 50°37' N, 23°42' E, 21 miles ESE of Zamość, 17 miles NE of Tomaszów Lubelski. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, pp. 727-728: "Tyszowce". 1900 Jewish population: 1,898. Yizkors: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999) and Pinkas Tishovits (Tel Aviv, 1970). This town in Tomaszów Lubelski powiat, Lublin Voivodeship with a 2004 population of 2,359. [July 2009]

Normal 0

CEMETERY: Kościelna Street. The old Jewish 0.4-ha cemetery established at the end of the 16th century is surrounded on one side with a brick wall and on other sides with a 2-m wooden fence. During WWII, mass grave were dug for executions held here. Also, the Nazis dismantled the brick wall to build a stable for horses. Matzevot were used for pavements and footbridges in Dęblin. Gravestones also were used to pave the road to Łaszczów. No gravestones remained. After liberation, the authorities constructed a pre-school on the site. In 1988, a commemorative stone was put in the cemetery to commemorate a well-known rabbi named Ben Josef from Tyszowice by Dawid Laks. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: 3-go Maja Street: The new Jewish cemetery established in the 19th/20th century is located outside the town, about 50 m N of the road from Tyszowce to Tuczapy. The last known burial took place in 1941. During WWII, the Germans destroyed the 0.07 ha cemetery.14 gravestones with visible carvings and inscriptions in Hebrew survived (nine old and four new). The oldest dates from 1884. In 1988, Dawid Laks, Abraham Borg, and the people from Tyszowice built a metal fence with a gate with Mogen David and restored the cemetery. Four matzevot were erected with a monument to commemorate the Holocaust victims. In the cemetery, ashes were brought from Bełżec. photos. [July 2009]

TYSZOWCE I: AS 213

Tyszowce is in Zamosc province at 50º37' 23º42', 30 km SE from Zamosc. Location of cemetery: 3-go Maja St. (to the end). Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Gminy (City Council), Koscielna St., Tel. 36,15. Urzad Wojewodzki (VoivodshipOffice), Zamossc, ul. Partyzantow 3 Sejmik Samorzadowy Wojewodztwa Zamojskiego (Local Governments' Committee of Voivodship Zamose), Zamose, ul. Partyzantow 3, Tel. 31 34.
  • Regional: Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow (State preservation Authority, Conservation Officer for Voivodship) Zamose, ul. Staszica 29, Tel. 59 71. Regionalny Osrodek Studiow i Ochrony Krajobrazu Kulturowego (Regional Center for the Study and Preservation of Cultural Landscape), Lublin, ul. Archidiakonska 4, Tel. 73 62 24. Interested: Urzad Wojewodzki--Wydzial Geodezji, Kartografii i Gospodarki Gruntami (VoivodshipOffice--Dept. of Land Survey, Cartography and Land Use), Zamose, ul. Przemyslowa 4, 26 57; and Wojewodzkie Archiwum Panstwowe (State Archive for Voivodship) Lublin, 4 Przemyslowa St.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1528. 1921 Jewish population was 2451. Noteworthy historical events: 1564/65 rabbi mentioned; 1567 Privilege granted for Jews (same as for Christians) by king Zymunt August; 1578--population 330; synagogue mentioned in XVII c.; 1813 pogrom and robbery by Russian cossack soldiers; 1942--deportation. Noteworthy individuals: in XVII C. Jozef Majerowic (1645), Izaak Sukiennik (1610); in XX C. Dawid Wachsenfeld, Rabbi Ben Joseph. The Jewish cemetery was established turn of 19th-20th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial in 1941. Landmark: preserved as local monument to memory of Tyszowce Jews murdered during the war but not listed in Monuments Record Book. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat has a sign or plaque in local language (Polish) and Hebrew mentioning the Jewish Community. Reached by turning directly off public road, access is open to all with a continuous fence with non-locking gate. Approximate size of cemetery before World War II was.25 ha. Present size of cemetery about 0.07 ha., reduced by agriculture. 1-20, none in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1884-20th century. The sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. David Lacks (or Laks), Abraham Borg and former residents of Tyszowce fixed wall and gate in 1988. Memorial tombstones devoted to families of aforementioned individuals were erected 1989 and, memorial monument for burial of Jews from Tyszowce murdered in Belzec. Occasional clearing or cleaning is by authorities. No threats.

Slawomir Parfianowicz, Jasielska 50a/2, 02-18 Warszawa, completed survey 25 August 1995 after a visit. Documentation: PSOZ (Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow (State Preservation Authority, Convservation Officer for Voivodship) Zamosc--"Karta cmentarza" (cemetery record chart), #2645 fulfilled by D. Kawalo, 1990; and "Studium historyczno--urbanistyczne (Historical--Urban survey) Lublin 1988 (prepared by J. Studzi ski/PKZ (State restoration Workshop), Dep. Lublin. Interviews were conducted with officers at Preservation Authority and residents of housing nearby to cemetery.

TYSZOWCE II: AS 193

Location of cemetery: 23 Koscielna (within property of kindergarten) The landmarked Orthodox cemetery was established possibly at the end of the 16th century. Rabbi Ben Joseph is buried here. It is preserved as local monument to memory of Tyszowce Jews murdered during the war but not listed in Monuments Record Book. The isolated urban flat land has a sign or plaque in Polish and Hebrew mentioning the Jewish Community. Reached by turning directly off public road and crossing other public kindergarten, access is open to all with no walls, fence, or gate. Cemetery was.4 ha. before World War II. No stones are visible. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns property used for recreation (park, playground, and sport field). Properties adjacent are residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Restoration in 1988 carried out by Jewish idividuals (David Lacks) abroad is a monument whose inscription mentions Rabbi Ben Joseph. There are no threats.

Slawomir Parfianowicz, Jasielska 50a/2, 02-18 Warszawa completed survey on 25 August 1995 after a visit. Documentation: PSOZ (Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow (State Preservation Authority, Convservation Officer for Voivodship) Zamose -"Karta cmentarza" (cemetery record chart), #2645 fulfilled by D. Kawalo, 1990; "Studium historyczno--urbanistyczne (Historical--Urban survey) Lublin 1988 (prepared by J. Studzi ski/PKZ (State restoration Workshop), Dep. Lublin. Interviews were officers at Preservation Authority and residents of housing near cemetery.

Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 13:12
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution