You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland TYRAWA WOLOSKA: Małopolskie
TYRAWA WOLOSKA: Małopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Official seal of Tyrawa WoloskaAlternate names: Tyrawa Wołoska [Pol], Tirava-Vilaska [Yid]. 49°35' N, 22°22' E, 23 miles SW of Przemyśl. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, p. 719: "Tyrawa" #2. 1900 Jewish population: 415. This village in East Małopolska in the Lesser Beskid mountains of Poland. The community is about 40 miles from Rzeszów, in south-eastern Poland. Gmina Tyrawa Wołoska is a rural administrative district in Sanok County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship in SE Poland with its seat in the village of Tyrawa Wołoska, 12 km (7 mi) east of Sanok and 57 km (35 mi) SE of the regional capital Rzeszów. The gmina 2006 total population is 1,939. Gmina Tyrawa Wołoska contains the villages and settlements of Hołuczków, Kreców, Lachawa, Rakowa, Rozpucie, Siemuszowa, Tyrawa Wołoska and Wola Krecowska. [July 2009]

CEMETERY:  About 400 meters SE of a church and behind a Catholic cemetery, the 0.6-ha cemetery has several visible matzevot and fragments. In 2007, the cemetery was cleaned and cleared of overgrown vegetation.. Photos. photos. [July 2009] 

We are non-profit organisation caring for the Jewish cemetery in Tyrawa Wolosk since 2007. We would like to find someone who lived in Tyrawa or remembers this village or others of the vicinity before WWII: Krecow, Wola Krecowska, Rozpucie, Rakowa, Holuczkow, Siemuszowa). Ewa Bryla, Heritage of Carpathian Minorities Association, ul. Filtrowa 19, 38-540 Zagorz. tel. 013 46 22 670, kom. 695 66 48 06. KRS 0000237140, NIP 687-182-47-47, REGON 180052187.

US Commission No. POCE000735

The town is in Krosno province 49º34' 22º22'E, 17 km from Sanok and 58 km from Krosno. Cemetery location: by the road to Wankowa. Present population is under 1000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy, 38-535 Tyrawa Woloska, tel. #23; telex 65231 ng.
  • Regional: (see Baligrod) Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow mgr. Alejzy Cabala, ul Bieszczadzka 1, 38-400 Krosno tel. 21-974.

1921 Jewish population was 299. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery on an isolated rural (agriculture) crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. 1-20 sandstone, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, none in original location with more than 75% toppled or broken, have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery property with no structures used for animal grazing. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The cemetery is rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally since. There is no maintenance. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing stones. Security and vandalism are serious threats. Weather erosion and vegetation are very serious threats.

Pietr Antoniak, ul. Dobra 5m 36, 05-800 Praszka completed survey 10 September 1992 after a visit to the site on 1 Sept. 1992.

Last Updated on Saturday, 07 November 2009 12:26
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution