Alternate names: Tyczyn [Pol], Titchin [Yid]. 49°58' N, 22°02' E, 6 miles SSE of Rzeszów (Zheshuv). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XIII, p. 693: "Tyczyn". Jewish population: 999 (in 1890). ShtetLink. This town in southern Poland with a 2009 population of 3,353 inhabitants in Gmina Tyczin, Rzeszów powiat, in the Subcarpathian Voivodeship. Besides the town of Tyczyn, Gmina Tyczyn contains the villages and settlements of Borek Stary, Budziwój, Hermanowa, Kielnarowa and Matysówka. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: Located in SW part of the city between ul. Pułanek and ul. Parkową, the cemetery was probably established in the 18th century. During WWII, the Nazis destroyed the cemetery having the mayor, J. Heucherta, take the gravestones to pave the market streets. After liberation, the cemetery fell into oblivion. In the 1990s, at the city expense, a plan was drafted to fence the area with money supplied by Rabbi Mendel Reichberg of New York and cleared overgrowth. A few gravestones were found in 2004 during construction of urban sewage networks. The ohel of Rabbi Solomon Lejb Weichselbauma (d 10 July 1927) stands. [July 2009]
NIWA PLAGUE CEMETERY: Another Jewish cemetery, 0.03 hectare, was established before 1831on the outskirts of Niwa near the road to Błażowej. Jews who died of plagues (cholera, smallpox and typhoid) were buried there. No gravestones are in the cemetery. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000484
The earliest known Jewish community was 1428. 1939Jewish population was 1200. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery, 500 m. from congregation, was established in 16th century with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1943. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign. Reached by turning directly off public road, access is open to all with broken masonry wall, broken fence, and no gate. Approximate size of cemetery before World War II and now is 300 square meters. 1-20 or 100-500 stones are in original location. [sic] 20-100 stones in cemetery are not in original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken. Removed stones are in a museum or conservation laboratory in Rynek and incorporated into roads or structures in Rynek. Section for suicides probable. Tombstones date from 17th-20th centuries. The limestone and sandstone rough stones or boulders or flat shaped stones have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves, but no structures. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are recreational and agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally since with no maintenance. Occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals or unpaid caretaker is care. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing stones. Security, vegetation and vandalism are very serious threats. Weather erosion a moderate threat.
Natascha Rode 35-213 Rzeszow, Starzynski str 5/29 Tel. 439-76 completed survey April 22, 1992 after a visit. Documentation: History of Tyczyn. Miecyslew Skotnicki, listed above, was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2009 00:55|