You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland TUSZYN: łódzkie
TUSZYN: łódzkie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Tuszyn [Pol], Tushin [Yid, Rus], Tuschin [Ger], Тушин[Rus], טושין [Yid]. 51°36' N, 19°33' E, 11 miles SSE of the regional capital Łódź, 15 miles NNW of Piotrków Trybunalski. 1900 Jewish population: 589. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, pp. 676-677: "Tuszyn" #1. List of Jewish living in the town 1875-1939. Tuszyn is a small town in Łódź East powiat, Łódź Voivodeship, central Poland, with 7,201 inhabitants in 2004. Gmina Tuszyn is an urban-rural administrative district in Łódź East powiat. Apart from the town of Tuszyn, Gmina Tuszyn contains the villages and settlements of Bądzyń, Dylew, Garbów, Garbówek, Głuchów, Gołygów, Górki Duże, Górki Małe, Jutroszew, Kruszów, Mąkoszyn, Modlica, Rydzynki, Syski, Szczukwin, Tuszynek Majoracki, Wodzin Majoracki, Wodzin Prywatny, Wodzinek, Wola Kazubowa, Żeromin and Zofiówka. [July 2009]

The first documentation of Jews here was in 1660. The Swedes had destroyed the village in 1655 so the owners of Tuszyn brought Jews here to encourage development. In 1693, Jews arrived as a group. In 1781, 86 Jew lived here and rapidly dominated crafts and trade eliciting the ire of Christian burghers. The inn with the right to produce and sell alcohol was a particular bone of contention. Local guilds in 1849 tried to even the score by precluding Jewish members. Jews sold mineral water and transported and accommodated patients coming here. Jewish population: 1831-350 and in1883-1248. The kahal had a synagogue, hospital, and three houses of prayer. Chasidism was popular. Jankiel Adler (1895-1949), a famous painter was born here and is buried in the Jewish cemetery in London on Bushy Road. During WWII, Jews were deported from Tuszyn to Srocka, then to the ghetto in Piotrkow Trybunalski, and from there to death camps. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: Located in Tuszyn-Las at today's ul. 3 Maja, the cemetery was destroyed during WWII with devastation continuing under the PRL. In 1952, plans were initiated to use the gravestones for a swimming pool. Today, the cemetery is within the limits of the Municipal Sports and Recreation Center and the former Police Center. Fragments of gravestones probably are in different points of the city. Some were used in the wall of one of the buildings. 19th and early 20th century sandstone matzevot with preserved traces of polychrome were found by a local social worker. [July 2009]

Photo. Photo. Source: Marek Busiakiewicz. [April 2010]

 

Last Updated on Sunday, 04 April 2010 19:55
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution