Alternate names: Turobin [Pol, Rus], Turbin, טורובין [Yid], Туробин [Rus], Torbin. 50°50' N, 22°44' E, 30 miles SSE of the regional capital of Lublin, 20 miles N of Biłgoraj. 1900 Jewish population: 1,509. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 7: Kielce and Lublin (Jerusalem, 1999) and Sefer Turobin; pinkas zikaron (Tel Aviv, 1967). This village in Biłgoraj powiat, Lublin Voivodeship, in eastern Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Turobin. The village has a population of 1,036. Jewish history. 2,750 Jews assembled in the market were told on May 12,1942 that they were being taken to Ukraine. Instead, they were stuffed into trains and taken to Sobibor. 150 were put to slave labor while the rest perished immediately. Few survived. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: Vandalized in 1941 by Germans, the 17th century cemetery gravestones were used to pave the roads and sidewalks. Several stone tombstones were recovered in 1994 in a ravine. The 19th and 20th century gravestones decorated with Hebrew inscriptions have been placed in the cemetery. Possibly, a cemetery in Sebastiana Stodzkiego [?]. [July 2009]
US Commission No. AS 192
Turobin is in Zamosc province at 50º49'N 22º45' W, 40 km NW from Zamosc. Location of cemetery: NE of market square on Zamkowa St. and a road by the water resource plant. Present population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1420. 1921 Jewish population was 956. Jewish community was most active from 16th-19th century. The cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial 1941. The community from Chorupnik, 15 km away, used this cemetery until about 1850. The isolated rural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private road, access is open to all with no wall or gate. Approximate size of cemetery before World War II and now is.5 ha. 1- 20 stone, none in the original locations with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th century. Tombstones removed were incorporated into the new local grammar school foundation. The sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Maintenance: re-erection of stones out in 1994--two tombstones found and re-erected by volunteer (unpaid) caretaker. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
Magorzata Radolowicz- Buzikiewicz, Florianska 37/3; 31-019 Krakow; phone (0-12) 215748 completed survey 29 September 1995 after a visit. Documentation: PSOZ (Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow (State Preservation Authority, Conservation Officer for Voivodship) Zamose --"Karta cmentarza" (cemetery record chart), #2667 filled by D. Kawa ko, 1992; and "Turobin. Studium histtoryczno-urbanistyczne", Lublin 1986. Officers at Preservation Authority and local residents were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 22 July 2009 23:26|