You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland TULISZKOW: Wielkopolskie
TULISZKOW: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of TuliszkówAlternate names: Tuliszkow, Tulishkov. 52°05' N, 18°18' E. 1900 Jewish population: about 200. Yizkors: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 1: The communities of Lodz and its region (Jerusalem, 1976) and Sefer zikaron le-kehilat Turek ve-li-kedoshehah (Tel Aviv, 1982). This town in Turek powiat, Greater Poland Voivodeship, with 3,406 inhabitants in 2004 was the location of the first Jewish Ghetto established by Nazi Germany during WWII in December 1939 or January 1940. The public prosecutors investigated devastation of the Jewish cemetery: a commemorative plaque was torn off from the wall and swastikas were painted on a matzeva in June 2007. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000701

The town is in Konin province at 52º04' 18º18', 15 km from Konin. Cemetery location: E of the road to Krepa. Present population is 3300 with no Jews.

  • Local: Burmistrz (Mayor) Marian Gryt, Urzad Miasta i Gminy, Tuliszkow, tel. 116.
  • Regional: Mgr. Irene Sobiewojski, PSO2 Konin Posodo Tel. 975 w. 212-936 (see Skulsk)

Jewish population was 450 before WWII. The unlandmarked Orthodox (Sephardic) Jewish cemetery was established 19th century. The isolated suburban crown of a hill, between fields and woods, has no sign or plaque. Reached by turning directly off public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Approximate size of cemetery before World War II and now is 0.5 ha. No stones or structures are left. A private individual owns property used for forest. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Rarely, local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance or current care. Weather erosion is a moderate threat. Security, vegetation and vandalism are slight threats.

Lucja Powlicka Nowol, 62 510 Konin, 11 Listopado 15/76 tel. 43-43-56 completed survey (see Konin) on November 20, 1992 after a visit. Documentation: literature, documentation at PSOZ-Konin. Other documentation exists. People interviewed: Soltys (head of hamlet), Czestaw Kurzawa, village Krepa.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 22 July 2009 22:33
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution