Alternate names: Tuczno [Pol], Tütz [Ger], Tuetz. 53°11' N, 16°09' E, 63 miles NNW of Poznań (Posen), 25 miles W of Piła. Jewish population: 83 (in 1885). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, pp. 604-05: "Tuczno" #1. This town in Wałcz powiat, West Pomeranian Voivodeship in northwestern Poland with 2,014 inhabitants in 2004. [July 2009]
Jewish settlement in Tucznie probably was in the 17th century. In 1731, Mary Radońskiej granted the privilege permitting Jews to settle on today's street Konopnickiej Mary to perform certain crafts. After the first partition of Polish, many Jews were forced to leave the city. In 1804, the 200 Jews were almost 28% of the population. The second half of the 19th century brought population decline. In 1900, the 54 Jews were 2.6%. During "Kristallnacht" the synagogue building was plundered and burnt. Jews in the city during WWII were deported to ghettos in Eastern Poland.CEMETERY: Located in the SW of the city on a hill with a mill reached via Młyńska, its establishment was probably in the 17th century. Remaining field stone gravestones with inscriptions in Hebrew and German date from the 18th and 19th centuries with the oldest from 1788 with the newest from 1896. Neglected, only a dozen graves and the destroyed cemetery wall remain in the landmarked cemetery. Photos. [July 2009]
The earliest known Jewish community was 1731 when the community was granted the Privilege. The Progressive, Reform cemetery was established at the beginning of the 18th century. Landmark: register of monuments of Pila number A-695 8.05.1990v. The isolated wooded hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. Approximate size of cemetery before World War II and now is.30 ha. 20-100 stones, 1-20in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1883-20th century. The granite and sandstone rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or double tombstones have Hebrew and German inscriptions. There are no structures. The municipality owns the unused property. Properties adjacent are forests. Rarely, local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance. Individuals and unpaid caretaker occasionally clear or clean. There are no structures. Security and vandalism are moderate threats. Weather erosion, vegetation and incompatible nearby development (existing) are slight threats.
Henryk Grecki 70-534 Szczecin ul. Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey 10 August 1991 after a visit to the site on 5 August 1991. Documentation: documentation form (karta cmentarza). No interviews.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 22 July 2009 22:28|