You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland TUCHOLA: Kujawsko-Pomorskie
TUCHOLA: Kujawsko-Pomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Tuchola Alternate names: Tuchola [Pol], Tuchel [Ger]. 53°35' N, 17°51' E, 31 miles NNW of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). 1900 Jewish population: 959 (in 1876), 118 (in 1932). This town in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship in northern Poland with a 2004 population of 13,976 close to the Tuchola Forests about 50 km north of Bydgoszcz is the seat of Tuchola County with forests to the east and north of the town. [July 2009]

Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in Poland, Volume VI [July 2012]

CEMETERY: The cemetery located near the Kicz River off the road leading to Rudzki Bridge (now Towarowa Street), during the interwar period (1920-1939) had four sections separated by alleys. Tuchola County residents as well as Russian captives of Jewish descent detained in a local camp were buried there. The cemetery was liquidated during WWII. After the war, the site became the Tuchola Country Transport Cooperative. During its storehouse construction, metal coffins were unearthed. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000610

Alternate German name: Tuchel. Tuchola is located in Bydgoszcz, 53º36 17º51, 24km from Chojnice. The cemetery is located at ul. Towarowa 6. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Local administration of a commune council and a town in Tuchola.
  • Regional: mgr. Olga Romanowska-Grabowska, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow.

The earliest known Jewish community was the first half of the 19th century. 1892 Jewish population was 576. The Jewish cemetery was established in 19th century. The isolated urban crown of a hill by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. No gravestones are visible. Cemetery has no known mass graves but has a pre-burial house. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.17 hectares. Municipality owns property used for industrial or commercial use. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and agricultural. The cemetery is visited rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last ten years with no maintenance. Existing incompatible nearby development is a serious threat.

Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszcz, Tel. 277335 completed survey on 30/10/1992 using the card of cemetery 1992 WKZ Bydgoszcz. She visited in June 1992.

Last Updated on Thursday, 02 August 2012 15:36
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution