Alternate names: Trzebiatów, Preptow, Treptow, Treptow an der Rega [Ger], Treptow Rega. 54°04' N 15°16' E, 268.4 miles WNW of Warszawa. This town in the West Pomeranian Voivodeship, as of June 2007 had 10,196 inhabitants. It was in Pomerania, Germany until 1945. [June 2009] Normal 0
CEMETERY: Located close to the army barracks at the crossroads of Kaiserstraße (present-day II Pułku Ułanów Street) and Thaddenstraße (present-day Sportowa Street), currently, a sports field and a dead-end street with no name are located on the left side of former Thaddenstraße. The cemetery situated directly between this small street and the backyards of the buildings on Kaiserstraße today is a weedy, overgrown rectangular area with a shortcut from II Pułku Ułanów Street to Sportowa Street. The size before and after WWII is the same 0.13 hectares. The last known burial occurred in 1945. Around 1970, the old cemetery was leveled and turned into a children's playground. No trace of the 3-meter wall that surrounded the cemetery remains nor of the beautiful gate still extant in 1960. All gravestones were completely destroyed by the Nazis. As of 1991, 20 fragments of granite, limestone, and sandstone gravestones could still be found, all with German inscriptions and dating between the 19th and 20th centuries. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE00000211
Alternate German name: Treptow an der Rege. Located in Szczecin province at 54º02' N 15º00' 26'' E. Cemetery location: Trzebiatow, ul. Sportowa-II Pulku Ulanow. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest Jewish community and the unlandmarked Jewish cemetery date from about 1860 with last known Orthodox Jewish burial in 1945. The isolated urban flat land has no walls, fences, or gates. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of the cemetery before WWII was and is about 0,13 ha. 1-20 gravestones, all in original locations with 50% and 75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century or 1922 - 20th century. The granite, limestone, and sandstone rough stones or boulders or flat shaped stones have no other embellishments except German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns the cemetery used for recreational use. Adjacent properties are recreational. Occasionally, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last 10 years. No maintenance or care. Vegetation is a slight threat, nearby existing incompatible development a moderate threat, and weather erosion serious threats.
Dr. Alojzy Kowalczyk, ul.Moniuszki 4/B, 73-110 Stargard Szczec., tel. 73-44-40 Stargard completed survey on October, 15, 1991. He visited the site on October 12, 1991. Documentation: (1) Documentation card, 1988, and (2) J. Baranowski, 1963, Cmentarze zydowskie w wojewodztwie szczecinskim, W-wa, PKZ Oddz. W-wa. He may have more information.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 22 July 2009 20:43|