You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland TRZCIANKA: Wielkopolskie
TRZCIANKA: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of TrzciankaAlternate names: Trzcianka [Pol], Schönlanke [Ger], Schoenlanke, Kreisstadt Schönlanke. 53°02' N, 16°27' E, 48 miles NNW of Poznań (Posen). [Many places in Poland are named Trzcianka.] Jewish population: 590. This town in the Greater Poland voivodeship since 1999 and Czarnków-Trzcianka powiat and previously in Pila Voivodeship (1975-1998) had 17,131 inhabitants in May 2007. From 1772 to 1945, the town was in Prussia, Germany and its name was Schönlanke. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000422

Alternate German name: Schonlanke. Located in Pila province at 52º02' N 16º28' E, 20 km from Pila. Cemetery location: ul. P. Skargi. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta ul. Trzciance. Local: mgr. Roman Chwaliszewski, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 64-920 Pila ul. Tczewska 1, tel. 223-88.
  • Regional: (1) Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow, addriar ul.Pile, and (2) Barbara Lucryzskia, at the same address.
  • Interested: mgr, Marek Fijaikowski, Muzeum Okregowe, 64-920 Pila ul. Chopina 1, tel. 271-37.

The earliest Jewish community dates from the Privilege of 1734. Prior to World War II, there were 380 Jews. A synagogue built in the 18th century and replaced in 1823 was destroyed in 1938. The unlandmarked Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established about 1820. No other communities used the cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no signs or markers. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no walls, fences or gates. The size of the cemetery prior to World War II was 1.0 ha. The cemetery has been liquidated. No gravestones are visible. There are no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns the cemetery property. Adjacent property is residential and forests. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II with no maintenance or care.

inz. Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13. tel. 377-41 completed survey on August 30, 1991 using documentation form. No visit.

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 July 2009 02:09
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution