Alternate names: Tarnobrzeg [Pol], Dzhikev, דזיקאוו, טרנובז'ג-דזיקוב [Yid], Dzików, Dikow, Tarnobrzeg-Dzików. 50°35' N, 21°41' E, In SE Poland, 40 miles NNW of Rzeszów, in N Galicia, on the E bank of the Vistula. 1900 Jewish population: 2,537. Yizkors: Kehilat Tarnobrzeg-Dzikow (Galicia ha-ma'aravit) (Tel Aviv, 1973) and Bet David: helek ahad al agadah ve-al Midrashim (, 1911). This town in SE Poland on the east bank of the river Vistula with 49,753 inhabitants in June 2009 in Subcarpathian Voivodeship since 1999 was previously been the capital of Tarnobrzeg Voivodeship (1975-1998). [July 2009]video. [July 2009]
OLD CEMETERY: The oldest of the two cemeteries, 0.4-hectares, was destroyed with the site now occupied by the exhibition hall on ul. Sienkiewicza. WWII Vandalism and post-war development removed all traces. [July 2009]NEW CEMETERY: Established at the beginning of the 20th century near the current Kaufland market, only four gravestones and one ohel survived in the 0.8-hectare site. In the 1960s, the ohel was rebuilt to protect graves of tzaddikimElizer Horowic, Meir of Dzików, Jozue of Dzków, and Jechiel ben Meir (1850-1928) from Pokrzywnica and Tarnów. The Embassy of Israel and the Jewish Historical Institute honored the caretaker, Mr Mieczysław Zdyrski. The clean site has a fence. [July 2009]
TARNOBRZEG I: US Commission No. POCE000093
The first mention of Jews in Tarnobrzeg was 1593, but the first Jewish community was established in the first half of the 17th century. In 1655, Swedish army murdered Jews. In 1712, some Jews expelled from Sandomierz settled in Tarnobrzeg. Living here was Tzaddik Eliezar (d.1860). The Jewish cemetery was established in 1930. Buried in the cemetery are Tzaddik Eliezar (d.1860), his sons and grandsons, originally buried in an old cemetery and transferred to this one after its liquidation. 1921 Jewish population (census) was 2146. The last known Progressive/Reform Jewish burial was 1940. Landmark: Register of Monuments No.314/A. The isolated urban small sandy hill (1.5 m high) has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous fence with locking gate. The approximate size of before WWII was 0.50 hectares and now is 0.45 hectares. 5 gravestones, or fragments, in original location, date from 1915-20th century. The sandstone flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. No mass graves or structures. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries have reduced since 1939, due to new roads and highways. Occasionally, organized individual tours and private individuals visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not since restoration in 1966: reconstruction of the ohel on the foundation of the original one. In 1988 the fence was changed, reducing the area of the cemetery. A regular caretaker currently maintains the cemetery. Vegetation and vandalism pose slight threats.
Marek Florek, ul. Chopina 12/2, Rudnik, tel. 26 completed survey on 17/10/1991, using documentation card and E. Rzetecka Evidencia cmentara zydowskiego w Tarnobrzeg , Warszawa 1990. He visited the site on 10/10/1991.
TARNOBRZEG II: US Commission No. POCE000094
The unlandmarked cemetery is located at ul. h. Sienkiewicza (Marketplace). The Jewish cemetery is thought to have been established in the 17th century. Buried in the cemetery were Tzaddik Eliezer (d.1860), Meir (d.1877), son of Eliezer and Jehoszua (d.1913) & Jehiel (d.1928), grandsons of Eliezer. The last known Orthodox Jewish burial was 1930. The isolated, urban flat land has no sign, wall, or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 1.20 hectares. In 1931 the cemetery was liquidated and the area developed. Two gravestones were moved to the new cemetery at Sienkiewicza and Sawickiej Streets; otherwise, no other gravestones remain. Municipality owns site used for industrial and commercial purposes. Properties adjacent are commercial and residential. As of yet, no skeletons were found during recent sewage works.
Marek Florek, ul. Chopina 12/2, Rudnik, tel. 26 completed survey on 17/10/1991. Documentation: documentation card; E. Rzetecka Evidencia cmentara zydowskiego w Tarnobrzeg (Warszawa, 1990). Marek Florek visited the site on 10/10/1991.
BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe . New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 78
|Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 16:52|