You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland TARLOW: Świętokrzyskie
TARLOW: Świętokrzyskie PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Tarłów [Pol], Tarle, טארלוב [Yid], Tarluv, Тарлув [Rus], Tarleh. 51°00' N, 21°43' E, 40 miles WSW of Lublin, 23 miles ESE of Iłża (Drilch), 15 miles ENE of Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski. 1900 Jewish population: 1,210. This village in Opatów powiat, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship, in south-central Polandis the seat of the dministrative district called Gmina Tarłów, 30 km (19 mi) NE of Opatów and 79 km (49 mi) E of the regional capital Kielce. The village has a population of 790. Gmina Tarłów contains the villages and settlements of Bronisławów, Brzozowa, Cegielnia, Ciszyca Dolna, Ciszyca Górna, Ciszyca Przewozowa, Ciszyca-Kolonia, Czekarzewice Drugie, Czekarzewice Pierwsze, Dąbrówka, Dorotka, Duranów, Hermanów, Jadwigów, Janów, Julianów, Kolonia Dąbrówka, Kozłówek, Leopoldów, Leśne Chałupy, Łubowa, Maksymów, Mieczysławów, Ostrów, Potoczek, Słupia Nadbrzeżna, Słupia Nadbrzeżna-Kolonia, Sulejów, Tadeuszów, Tarłów, Teofilów, Tomaszów, Wesołówka, Wólka Lipowa, Wólka Tarłowska and Zemborzyn Kościelny. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: Normal 0 The Jewish cemetery in Tarłów is located next to a country road near Ostrowiecka Street, NW of the town. Established in the 16th century, the last known burial took place in 1942. During WWII, the Nazis destroyed the 0.7-hectare cemetery. Not one gravestones remains. All that remains is covered with bushes. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000232

Tarlow is located in Tarnobrzeg at 51º00 21º43, 63km from Tarnobrzeg. The cemetery is located by the dirt road NW of the town. Present population is 1,000- 5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Urzad Gminy Tarlow, Rynek, tel. 81
  • Regional: Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, (Mgr. Dominik Komada), ul. Pilsudskiego 40, tel. 22-81-61 and Dyrektor Wydzialu Spraw Spotecznych, Urzedu Wojewodzkiego, (Edward Kuracinski), ul. Kosciuszki 32, tel. 22-19-99.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1609. 1911 Jewish population (census) was 1970. The Jewish cemetery was established before 1609, at the end of the 16th century. The last known Orthodox Jewish burial was 1942 (?). Landmark: Official Register of Monuments #356/A. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker, no wall or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.75 hectares. No gravestones are visible, though as recently as 1985, three fragments were visible. There are no structures or mass graves. Municipality owns site used as a recreational park. Properties adjacent are recreational, residential, and agricultural. The cemetery boundaries remain the same since 1939. Private visitors rarely visit. Vegetation was cleared but otherwise no maintenance. Security, vandalism, vegetation, and incompatible development all pose slight threats.

Marek Florek, ul. Chopina 12/2, tel. 26 completed survey on 13/11/1991. Documentation: Karta ewidencji cimentarza; A. Penkalla, Zespot synagogalny w Tarlowie, puz kielce, 1985 (maszynopis). He visited the site on 09/11/1991.

BOOK: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe . New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 78

Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 16:44
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution