Alternate names: Szubin [Pol], Schubin [Ger], Altburgund [Ger, 1941-45]. 53°01' N, 17°45' E, 14 miles SW of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). Jewish population: 418 (in 1873), 139 (in 1910). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, pp. 57-64: "Szubin". This town in Nakło powiat, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship located SW of Bydgoszcz had a 2004 population of 9,354. The boys' school in the town was surrounded by barbed wire with additional concrete huts as a POW camp for captured French, Polish and Soviet officers called Oflag XXI-B. In 1943, the camp \changed to a camp for U.S. Army officers called Oflag 64. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: The 0.73-ha cemetery on Kcyńska Street, founded in 1750, holds two matzevot and a Holocaust memorial. Normal 0 On a sandy hill near a forest on the outskirts of the city even held pagan urns were sometimes discovered during burials. A tall wall and a security shed were added. The Germans destroyed the cemetery during WWII. photos. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000608
Alternate name: Schubin and Alt burgund (German). Szubin, is located in Bydgoszcz at 53°01 17°45), 23km from Bydgoszcz. The cemetery is located at ul. Kcynska. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1928Jewish population (census) was 35. The Jewish cemetery was established at the beginning of the 19th century. The isolated suburban crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, wall, or gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.78 hectares. 3 gravestones in pieces and one whole monument date from the 19th-20th centuries. The marble and granite flat shaped stone and a multi-stone mass grave monument dedicated to Holocaust victims have Hebrew, Polish, and German inscriptions. There are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem. The municipality owns the cemetery property used for Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are recreational. The cemetery boundaries remain the same since 1939. Occasionally, private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Local or municipal authorities continually clear vegetation occasionally. Weather erosion and vegetation are moderate threats.
Magdalena Grabowska, ul. Sanatoryjna 40, Bydgoszcz, Tel. 277335 completed survey on 30/10/1992. She visited on 11/06/1992. The card of cemetery 1988 WKZ Bydgoszcz was documentation.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 July 2009 14:26|