You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland SZTUM: Pomorskie
SZTUM: Pomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Sztum Alternate names: Sztum [Pol], Stuhm [Ger]. 53°56' N, 19°02' E, 32 miles SSE of Gdańsk (Danzig). Jewish population: 106 (in 1895), 70 (in 1925). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, p. 51: "Sztum". This town is the seatl of Sztum powiat in Pomeranian Voivodeship with 10,141 inhabitants in 2004. Normal 0 The local Jewish cemetery indicates the presence of Jews in Sztum from the 18th century. An 1806 document relating to the declaration of the Prussian king allowed them to settle freely. The synagogue was built for the small congregation, about 10% of the larger population. In 1880, 97 Jews lived there and in 1895, 106. Many immigrated to America, because in 1925 the village had only 70 Jews and in 1933 just 46. Nazi oppression in 1939 meant only 13 Jews remained. During Kristallnacht, the Nazis destroyed the synagogue. [July 2009]

CEMETERY: Located at ul Kochanowski, the Nazis vandalized the cemetery, but local inhabitants after the war did worse. Only traces of graves remained in the square and then became foundations of houses built on ul. Kochanowski. Now, any trace of the cemetery is difficult to find. Once stairs led to the cemetery, but they are gone as is the sign that said "Jewish Cemetery". In Spring 2007, local authorities in the city, near the office of the Sewage and Water on ul Kochanowski found gravestone fragments with inscriptions in Hebrew and German and probably turned it over to the Sztum museum being organized. Photos. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000757

Alternate German name: Stuhm. Located in Elblaskie (Elblag) province at 53°56' N 19°02' E, 50 km SE of Gdansk. Cemetery: ul. Kochanowskiego. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta i Gminy, ul. Mickiewicza 39, tel.72001. Urzad Wojewodski w Elblagu, ul. Wojska Polskiego 1, tel. 27001.
  • Regional: Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony, Zabytkow-Elblag, ul. Wojska Polskiego 1, tel. 24553.

The earliest Jewish community dates from the 19th century-maybe 1849. In 1849, there were 90 Jews and 143 Jews in 1933. The Judenedikt of 1812 effected the Jewish community. The unlandmarked Orthodox and Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. The isolated surburban hillside has no signs or markers. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no walls, fences, or gates. The size of the cemetery before WWII was and is now about.10 ha. Gravestones have been liquidated; now an amphitheatre is there. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns the cemetery property used for recreation, adjacent to recreational properties. Rarely, local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II, but not in the last 10 years.

Wiktor Knercer, 10-685 Olsztyn, ul. Barcza 33/16, tel. 33-86-07 completed survey September 1992. He visited in June 1992. Documentation: (1) Mapa w skali 1:25000 2l. 1910-1920; (2) Deutsches Stadtebuch, Erich Renser, 1939; and (3) Statistisches Handbuch fur die Provinz Ostpuwben.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 July 2009 14:00
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution