Alternate names: Szczecinek [Pol], Neustettin [Ger], Nowé Sztetëno [Kasz], Nien Stettin [Swed], Nova Stetin [Lat], Neustettiu. 53°43' N, 16°42' E, in W Pomerania, 91 miles WSW of Gdańsk (Danzig), 66 miles NW of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). Jewish population: 455 (in 1880), 60 (in 1934). One of biggest towns of West Pomeranian Voivodeship (NW Poland), in 2007 the urban area population was 39,777. Szczecinek is the capital of Szczecinek powiat. The Jewish cemetery on Wodociągów Street founded in the 18th century was destroyed during the Nazi occupation. None of the gravestones survived. One gravestone from 1756 can be seen in the museum in Szczecinek. Currently an Evangelical-Augsburg chapel is located in the beit tahara. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000332
Alternate German name: Neustettin. The town is located in Koszalin region at 53°42 16°42. Cemetery: ul. Wodoeiagowa. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.
The unlandmarked Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established at the beginning 18th century. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, wall, or gate. The pre-WWWII size was 0.25 ha; the post-WWII cemetery size is 0.16 ha reduced by the Lutheran Church use of the property. No stones are visible. Removed stones were incorporated into the road near a local school. There are no known mass graves. The municipality and the Lutheran Church own the property used for recreational [Lutheran religious?] purposes. The former the Jewish pre-burial house is now a Lutheran chapel and part of the rest of the site is Lutheran Church property. Adjacent property is residential. It was vandalized prior to World War II. No maintenance or care or threats. No threats.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soktypsia 3/13, tel. 377- completed survey on 30 Aug. 1991 using the documentation form and no visit.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 July 2009 19:38|