You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland SZAMOCIN: Wielkopolskie
SZAMOCIN: Wielkopolskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Szamocin Alternate names: Szamocin [Pol], Samotschin [Ger], Fritzenstadt [Ger, 1943-45]. 53°02' N, 17°08' E. 1900 Jewish population: 329. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XI, p. 776: "Szamocin" #1. This city in Chodzież County that during the Partitions of Poland the town belonged to Kreis Kolmar in Posen. Gmina Szamocin is an urban-rural administrative district in Chodzież County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland with its seat in the town of Szamocin, 16 km (10 mi) east of Chodzież (Kolmar) and 72 km (45 mi) N of the regional capital Poznań. The gmina 2006 total population was 7,292 (town of Szamocin was 4,267). Beside the town of Szamocin, Gmina Szamocin contains the villages and settlements of Antoniny, Atanazyn, Borówki, Borowo, Heliodorowo, Jaktorówko, Jaktorowo, Józefowice, Józefowo, Józefy, Kosarzyn, Laskowo, Leśniczówka, Lipa, Lipia Góra, Mielimąka, Nadolnik, Nałęcza, Nowy Dwór, Nowy Młyn, Piłka, Raczyn, Śluza-Krostkowo, Sokolec, Strzelczyki, Swoboda, Szamoty and Weśrednik. [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE00413

Alternate German name: Samotschin. The town is located in Pila region at 53°02 17°08, 30 km from Pila. Cemetery: ul. Swierczewskiego 53. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta I Gminy w Szamocinie and mgr. Roman Chwallszewski, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabytkow, 64-920 Pila, ul. Tozewska 1, tel. 223-88.
  • Regional: Panistwowa Slurba Ochrony Zabythow, Oddriat w Pile., mgr. Barbara Luczynska, address as above.
  • Interested: mgr. Marek Fijatkowski, Muzeum Okregowe, 64-920 Pila ul. Chopinie 1, tel. 271-37.
    The Jewish community and unlandmarked Jewish cemetery existed since the mid-18th century. The Jewish population before WWII was 44. Poet, Ernest Toller, was born in Szamocin in 1893 and died in 1939 in New York. The Jewish community was Progressive/Reform. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The pre-and post-WWII cemetery size is 0.42 ha. No stones or are known mass graves exist. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance, care, structures or threats.
inz. Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soltysia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on 30 Aug. 1991. No site visit.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 July 2009 11:18
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution