Alternate names: Syców [Pol], Gross Wartenberg [Ger], Groß Wartenberg. 51°18' N, 17°43' E, in Lower Silesia, 33 miles ENE of Wrocław (Breslau), 12 miles W of Kępno (Kempen). Jewish population: 65 (in 1910). Syców is a town in Oleśnica powiat, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in SW Poland 27 km (17 mi) NE of Oleśnica, and 47 km (29 mi) NE of the regional capital Wrocław and the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Syców with a 2006 population of 10,712. Prior to 1945 it was in Germany. Besides the town of Syców, the gmina contains the villages of Bielawki, Biskupice, Błotnik, Dłusko, Drołtowice, Działosza, Gaszowice, Komorów, Lesieniec, Ligota Dziesławska, Maliszów, Niwki Garbarskie, Nowy Dwór, Nowy Świat, Pawełki, Pawłowice, Radzyna, Ślizów, Stradomia Wierzchnia, Święty Marek, Szczodrów, Trzy Chałupy, Widawki, Wielowieś, Wioska, Wojciechowo Wielkie, Zawada, Zawady and Zieleniec. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE0000478
Alternate German name: Polnisch Wartenberg. The town is located at 51°18 17°43 , 56 km NE of Wroclaw. Cemetery: end of Starzynskiego Street. Present town population is 5-000-25,000 with no Jews.
The 1890 Jewish population was 127 (total 2,320). The communities at Brslin, Miedzyborz, Droltowice, Szczodrow, and Turkow also probably used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The post-WWII cemetery size is 0.19 ha. No stones are visible. The municipality owns the property used as a playground. Adjacent property is residential. The cemetery is not visited. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance, care, or structures.
Michal Witwichi, Dembowskiego 12/53, tel, 02.784 Warszawa completed survey on 25 October 1991. He and Eleonora Bergman visited on 19 October 1991.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 July 2009 01:53|