You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland SWIETOJANSKO Lubuskie
SWIETOJANSKO Lubuskie PDF Print E-mail

Świętojańsko is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Krzeszyce, within Sulęcin powiat, Lubusz Voivodeship, in western Poland, 16 km (10 mi) N of Sulęcin and 23 km (14 mi) SW of Gorzów Wielkopolski. Before 1945, the area was part of Germany. The village has a population of 60.  Normal 0 The 0.1-ha Jewish cemetery in Świętojańsko (near the road leading from Kostrzyn to Skwierzyna) was founded at the beginning of the 19th century. Not only used by the Jews from Świętojańsko but also those from nearby Krzeszyce, during WWII, the cemetery was devastated by the Nazis. About 15 sandstone matzevot with inscriptions in German and Hebrew remain, the oldest of which dated from 1881. The foundations of the brick wall in the cemetery area remain. [July 2009] photos.  [July 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000345

Alternate German name: Sankt-Johannes. The town is located in Gorzow wlkp at 52°35 15°04, 25 km from Gorzow wlkp. Cemetery: by the road Kostzyn-Skwierzyna. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Urzad Miasta I Gminy w Krzeszycach and mgr. Wladyslaw Chrostowski, Wojewodzki Konserwator Zabtkow, 65-413 Gorzow wlkp., ul. Jagiellonczyka 8, tel. 75-295.
  • Regional: Panistwowa Slurba Ochrony Zabythow, Oddriat w Sorzonwie Wlkp., mgr. Jwona Drzewiecka, address as above.
  • Interested: the forest administration-Nedlesnietwo Osno Lubuskie.

The Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established at the beginning 19th century. The Krzeszyce community, about 5 km away, also used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural wooded flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre-and post-WWII cemetery size is 0.11 ha. 1 to 20 stones are visible with less than 25% broken or toppled. The oldest stones in the cemetery are from 1881 and 1866. The 19th century sandstone markers are flat shaped stones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones with Hebrew and/or German inscriptions. The Forest District Administration of Osno Lubuskie [Nadlesnictwo Osno Lubuskie] owns the property used only for abandoned Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is forest. Rarely, local residents stop. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance, care, or structures. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing stones. Vandalism and security are a moderate threat. Weather erosion and vegetation are slight threats.

Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soktypsia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on 14 Aug. 1991. He visited on 31 July 1991.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 July 2009 01:41
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution