50°13' N 23°20' E , 172.9 miles SE of Warszawa. Świdnica [Pol], Schweidnitz [Ger]. Svídnice [Czech]. This town in SW Poland with a population of 60,317 in 2008 in Lower Silesian Voivodeship and from 1975-98 in the former Wałbrzych Voivodeship is the seat of Świdnica powiat and also of the sGmina Świdnica (although it is not part of its territory since the town forms a separate urban gmina). [July 2009]
NEW CEMETERY: A new cemetery was established in 1815. Gravestones were overturned and subsequently, in 1941-1942, used to pave streets. A monument commemorating fighters of the Warsaw Ghetto was erected at the Jewish cemetery in 1963. photos. [July 2009]OLD CEMETERY: A cemetery established for Jews from surrounding settlements was first documented in 1382. In 1370,Princess Agnieszka issued a protective letter proclaiming the cemetery in Świdnica as the only cemetery in her principality to be used by Jews from surrounding towns of Dzierżoniowo, Jawor, Niemcza and Strzegom, and perhaps also Ząbkowice and Ziębice. Located near the main road to Strzegom, three gravestones survive. The gravetones were used as building material by the Nazis during WWII.
US Commission No. POCE000459: Alternate German name: Schweidnitz. located in Walbrzych. The US Commission is not finished rechecking this file. 
Source: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992. p. 26
|Last Updated on Saturday, 18 July 2009 16:28|