Alternate names: Sulmierzyce [Pol], Silmerzitz, סולמייז'יצה [Yid], Sul'mezhitze, Сульмежице [Rus], Sulmeizhitza, Silmarzitz. 51°11' N, 19°12' E, 41 miles SSW of Łódź, 14 miles NW of Radomsko. Another Sulmierzyce (Ger. Sulmierschütz), is SE of Poznań. Jewish population: 157 (in 1921). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XI, p. 575: "Sulmierzyce".. This village in Pajęczno County, Łódź Voivodeship in central Poland is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Sulmierzyce, 14 km (9 mi) east of Pajęczno and 70 km (43 mi) Sof the regional capital Łódź with a village population of 1,400. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE098B and POCE000038
Sulmierzyce is located in Piotrkow at 19°12 51°11, 30 km from Radomsko. The cemetery is located at N of village. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community in this town was 1765. 1921 Jewish population was 157 and 186 in Sulmiery. The unlandmarked Orthodox Jewish cemetery on isolated rural agricultural and wooded flat land has a sign or plaque in local language mentioning toxic waste dumping. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 1 hectares. There are no stones, known mass graves, or structures. Municipality owns property used for waste dumping. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II.
Jan Pawet Woronczak, Sandomierska str. 21 m.1 02-567 Warszawa; tel. 49-54-62 completed survey on 14 Oct 1991. The site was not visited. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Monday, 13 July 2009 16:19|