Alternate names: Sulęcin, Zielenzig [Ger]. 52°53' N 21°53' E 57.3 miles NE of Warszawa . This town in western Poland with 9926 inhabitants in 2005, the capital of Sulecin powiat and in Sulecin gmina, since 1999 in Lubusz Voivodeship. Beside the town of Sulęcin, Gmina Sulęcin contains the villages and settlements of Brzeźno, Długoszyn, Długoszyn-Kolonia, Długoszynek, Drogomin, Glisno, Grochowo, Grzeszów, Małuszów, Miechów, Ostrów, Pamiątkowice, Podbiele, Rychlik, Trzebów, Trzemeszno Lubuskie, Tursk, Wędrzyn, Wielowieś, Żarzyn and Żubrów.In 1801, 24 Jews lived here and in 1880,147 down to 82 in 1933 due to immigration.. The kahal had a synagogue and cemetery. [July 2009]
CEMETERY: Established in the early 19th century in the eastern part of the city, north of ul. Poznańskiej and for many years abandoned, in 2003, the local authorities cleaned up the cemetery area by removing overgrown foliage and resetting the few remaining gravestones. A fragment of the wall gate remains. The oldest identified gravestone dates from September 17, 1818. photos. [July 2009]
Cemetery photos. [January 2006]
US Commission No. POCE000344
Alternate Yiddish name: Zielenzig. The town is located in Gorzow wlkp at 52°27 15°08, 45 km from Gorzow wlkp. Cemetery: "ul. Zawadzkiego, ok. 1 km od szasu do Misdzyneciar." Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was the beginning of the 19th century. 1921 Jewish population was 82. The unlandmarked Progressive/Reform Jewish cemetery was established in the beginning of the 19th century. The isolated suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery a broken masonry wall with no gate. The pre-and post-WWII cemetery size is 0.14 ha. The cemetery is not divided into special sections. 1 to 20 stones, some not in original location with less than 25% broken or toppled, date from 1856, 1881, 1866, 1877, and 1899-20th century. The sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with card relief decoration or double tombstones have Hebrew and/or German inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent property is agricultural. Rarely, local residents stop. It was vandalized during World War II. No maintenance, care, or structures. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Vandalism is a moderate threat. Weather erosion, vegetation, and incompatible nearby development are slight threats.
Henryk Grecki, 70-534 Szczecin, ul. Soktypsia 3/13, tel. 377-41 completed survey on 14 Aug. 1991 with no site visit.
|Last Updated on Monday, 13 July 2009 15:19|